topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Post your FARR v2 Plugin Idea Requests Here - Plugin Writers Read In  (Read 251866 times)

joes_garage

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How about a PHP function locator which lets me start typing 'php [function name]' and a list of matching function is provided and when selected takes me to the PHP.net website for that function (default browser).  If this is easy I could provide a function list to assist.
this is a good idea

There's such a search provided in DQSD.  If I ever get time to get into writing the DQ plugin, that one would come for free, along with hundreds more.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i believe the right way to do this is with a generic plugin that has been talked about before -- a kind of structured file searching plugin.
Basically the plugin would let you configure search keywords, along with specifying the file they should search, and how they should look for text and tags and what info to show on match.
So this could be used to search almost any kind of text,xml, or help file in a structured way that would allow you to type keywords or tags and have FARR show ranked resuls -- then select one to show full text of the entry.
It would be incredibly useful for a wide variety of things.

Yes that would be great, i would certainly use it

BUT
it is really too bad not to have some kind of similar mechanism within the core of FARR

WHY ?
simple, that way you can customize more, because of action modifiers...., because of switches..., because of all your great work mouser !
i don't believe a plugin would be able to do everything you could with a core function...

the way i see FARR (i may be the only one  :D) is that you create your own environment (when i describe what i do with FARR, i simply say it's a additional layer on top of windows...)
somehow i see plugins as independant utilities

FARR is amazingly powerful, in about 5 minutes, i implemented Veign's idea !
Let's not forget that...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
nitrix you have come up with some of the coolest, most unusual uses for FARR, i can only admire it :)

and i see you invented yet a new trick -- you create some dummy files that FARR can find, and then you use the names of these files to figure out what to search for on the web.  very clever.

your last idea to have FARR search a text file and search web based on those results, is very close to the idea i was trying to suggest about a generic text file searcher -- and it's the ideal way to handle these cases in my opinion.  it would be incredibly useful for creating and searching any kind of reference information.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
and i see you invented yet a new trick -- you create some dummy files that FARR can find, and then you use the names of these files to figure out what to search for on the web.  very clever.
well i have to be there are so many features missing  :P
just kidding  ;D

i was trying to suggest about a generic text file searcher -- and it's the ideal way to handle these cases in my opinion.  it would be incredibly useful for creating and searching any kind of reference information.

i would love such a plugin if it would be possible to keep using all the neat FARR commands, namely :
  • /STAYOPEN
  • /ICON
  • action alias
  • showfile
  • showhtml (yet to be implemented, to show the result right into FARR use action alias : Open in browser $$1| showhtml http://www.php.net/FARR($$1,"only file name"))

do you think it's possible to use a plugin yet keep all the neat FARR commands ?
maybe some already work using dosearch ? i have to try...

i just feel that it would be great to be able to use some specific plugins in regular FARR use... i imagine a small date and time library, path manipulation, etc...and the infamous dosearchinfile  :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:29 AM by nitrix-ud »

searchingforsurf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how about a plug-in to submit tweets to twitter?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
excuse the pun, but i keep plugging the need for someone to write a twitter plugin (to both add items and view items) -- it seems like a reallly natural plugin for FARR.

i think we will see it soon.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
1000>>>twitter>->twitter | PATH TO \curl.exe -u username:pass -d status="$$1" http://twitter.com/s.../update.xml>+>^twitter (.*)

this one works fine for me. You just need to download curl.exe

http://curl.haxx.se/download.html

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
nicely done kartal -- that should surve well until we get a more specific plugin.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As far as sending twitter we do not need a plugin I think since we do not need any special interface. But maybe a plugin can be used to check followers, followeds on top of sending and getting messages.

The only problem with alias is that password is not encrypted.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As far as sending twitter we do not need a plugin I think since we do not need any special interface.

:Thmbsup:

i love it when it uses core functions...

for del.icio.us :

i post using curl and a small autohotkey GUI (so that i can specify tags... and name)
and then i use the del.icio.us plugins to fetch the result....

and all of this can be nicely wrapped with aliases  :D

i don't think a plugin for each particular task is the way to go, i would much prefer plugins opening new horizons by offering new functions, new features...

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i would looooove :-* some type of outlook plugin where you could start typing in the name of a contact and it would filter the names against your outlook contacts. Once you found the contact you wanted you could hit enter and it would display all their info in rich edit mode like address, email, phone # etc... You could then type +email to bring up the compose email dialog from outlook with the contacts email address already filled in.

If that proved too difficult how about simply being able to type the name of the contact and the plugin would search through an excel or comma separated file which you could than use the +email keyword on. As has been mentioned before the ability to search through some type of delimited list in a file would be extremely powerful for a number of applications.

davidma22

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I mentioned this to Mouser and he said I should suggest it as a plugin.

A plugin that could launch different browsers depending on what link you type. (I think that's what he meant.)

What I had suggested was a way to specify in your query what browser was used by adding ff/IE/Opera etc to the beginning, but he said a plugin would be better because it would handle all url launching, even by other FARR aliases. I'll leave it to him to reply here and explain the rest of the idea, since he knows more about the program than I do. heh.

The thing that sparked my suggestion though was wanting to be able to choose which browser would launch, rather than having it just use my default. So I could launch say... irc://irc.prison.net/#donationcoder and have it open Firefox, since that's where I have my IRC program.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This would be a good opportunity for someone to try writing a plugin that didnt produce results, but tookover the launching of urls.

davidma22

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure if this has been suggested or not (or if it already exists) but, how about a plugin that allows you to close active programs? One that can read the active programs from windows task manager. Something like... when you type CloseProgram <tab> it will list all active programs, and you can either type the one you want to close or select it from the list.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

davidma22

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Mouser! I don't know how I missed seeing that on the plugin list...sheesh.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The thing that sparked my suggestion though was wanting to be able to choose which browser would launch, rather than having it just use my default. So I could launch say... irc://irc.prison.net/#donationcoder and have it open Firefox, since that's where I have my IRC program.

i use the following alias :

regex mask :
^(https?://)?(([0-9a-z_!~*'().&=+$%-]+: )?[0-9a-z_!~*'().&=+$%-]+@)?(([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}|localhost|([0-9a-z_!~*'()-]+\.)*([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]{0,61})?[0-9a-z]\.[a-z]{2,6})(:[0-9]{1,4})?((/?)|(/[0-9a-z_!~*'().;?:@&=+$,%#-]+)+/?)$

then for the results just do the following :
Default browser $$4$$8$$9 | http://$$4$$8$$9
Internet Explorer $$4$$8$$9 | C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe http://$$4$$8$$9
Firefox $$4$$8$$9 | C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe http://$$4$$8$$9 /STAYOPEN
Opera $$4$$8$$9 | C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe http://$$4$$8$$9 /STAYOPEN

you  need to modify the regex mask to add protocols ;)

here above, i just show a small part of my result list, you can add whois, whohost, html validation, etc.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
very nice nitrix -- you always come up with interesting stuff.  :up: :up:

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
very nice nitrix -- you always come up with interesting stuff.
thanks  :-[

i cannot stress that enough... FARR is very very powerful and much of your effort mouser should be put into core functions...

i believe that most of anyone's need could be done through alias with some more functions

keep up the good work !

oups i forgot when is the new release coming ????? and please please i'd like to beta test it the week end  :P!
 :D :D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

i use the following alias :

regex mask :
^(https?://)?(([0-9a-z_!~*'().&=+$%-]+: )?[0-9a-z_!~*'().&=+$%-]+@)?(([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}|localhost|([0-9a-z_!~*'()-]+\.)*([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]{0,61})?[0-9a-z]\.[a-z]{2,6})(:[0-9]{1,4})?((/?)|(/[0-9a-z_!~*'().;?:@&=+$,%#-]+)+/?)$

Wow. I'll have to think about that one... :-[

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow. I'll have to think about that one...

don't remember where i got this one... there are quite a lot of capturing parenthesis  :D
i DID add the localhost part ;) very handy  ;)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It would be amazing if farr could show image thumbnails(optional) while listing files.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've long requested a plugin for http://Twitter; now there is a competitor called http://Plurk, which would also be nice to have a plugin for.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
How about a plugin to work with "Remember the Milk":
http://www.remembert...lk.com/services/api/

It's a web service that lets you set up reminders to yourself that will be emailed or sms'd to you, etc.

Similar: http://iwantsandy.com/
I'll be the first to request this?!

I'm an avid user of RTM.
I wonder how many other DonationCoders use this amazing web-tool?
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it would be nice to have a good weather plugin..