topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Desktop Search for network files?  (Read 5856 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Desktop Search for network files?
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:31 PM »
I'm looking for something like an x1 desktop search, but that will allow me to index network files also.  I downloaded the now free version of x1, but it won't allow network files to be indexed.  I seem to remember someone here suggesting a program that started with "A" that was an interesting desktop search software, but it had not been developed for a while.

Anyway, please let me know.  Here's the application:  on our network at work, there is a drive that has a bunch of memo's (Word files) and the filenames are just numbers, so I need to be able to search the content of the documents if I am to find anything.  Thanks.

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Desktop Search for network files?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Google Desktop should do that. Also, have a look at Gizmo's current newsletter and look at his Tip of the Month on how to add notes to your files.

http://techsupportal...ssues/al_current.htm

Maybe that would help reduce this problem in future.
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 06:07 PM »
Thanks, I'll try Google Desktop.  You know, I've never really liked the big name desktop search programs.  The best one I've tried recently is the one called Archivarius, which has a mini-review here at DC.

As far as adding notes to files, it won't happen here.  The secretaries are the ones writing the memos and the file-naming system was established a long time ago (really lame system).  I doubt too many people are even aware of file-indexing programs, but I needed one because I lost one of my memos.  I try to not let people here notice how much I've customized my computer work, or else they'd think I was extremely OCD and anal.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:28 PM »
The latest Windows desktop search is also able to do this.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 07:44 PM »
I'd suggest X1 enterprise client or copernic. Of all the DesktopSearch programs, I find they are the most reliable. X1 takes a bit more ram but has many more options. Copernic is leaner, a tad faster, but a bit less customizable and will not index certain document features (like "comments" in Word documents). I use both. They can coexist without any problem.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 08:10 PM »
I'd suggest X1 enterprise client ... I find they are the most reliable. X1 takes a bit more ram but has many more options.
+1 for X1 if it meets your needs, but I don't think that the free Enterprise Client version supports network drives. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong, though.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 03:50 AM »