ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

System Safety Monitor

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
I have known about System Safety Monitor for some years, but never thought of it to be worth my attention - until today when I received an e-mail from Agnitum (the maker of Outpost firewall) where they interviewed some ex-hacker, and of course asked him what firewall he would recommend. He did answer Outpost, they claim, but to my surprise the first firewall he named was System Safety Monitor. His answer made me think twice. The Outpost license I have will run out this summer, and maybe its time I should dare to use something else - maybe I should listen to this ex-criminal's expert opinion on the subject and try out System Safety Monitor?

System Safety Monitor

Single user: $35, Family: $50, Competitive Upgrade Discount: 50%
- there is a downgraded FREE version as well.

Do you have an opinion on the pay version of System Safety Monitor?   :tellme:

cthorpe:
I have the pay version of SSM, and I find it to be fairly powerful as far as controlling applications and processes.  It can be noisy at first, but it calms down considerably after a week or two of heavy use.  The current version cuts down on some of the chatter by giving you options such as an "install mode" that automatically allows all of the processes spawned by an installer to run without intervention.

I don't use the firewall, but as far as I recall, it only handles outbound traffic, and does so in a very simplistic manner.  If you're behind a router, and just want to allow or deny programs from getting out, it might do what you want.  If you need inbound protection or want to use more complex rules, then it might disappoint.

Carl

ps - Do you have a link to the interview you mentioned?

Curt:
ps - Do you have a link to the interview you mentioned?
-cthorpe (April 12, 2007, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.agnitum.com/news/securityinsight/issues/april2007

cthorpe:
It looks like he is talking about SSM as an anti-malware program rather than a firewall.

Curt:
It looks like he is talking about SSM as an anti-malware program rather than a firewall.
-cthorpe (April 12, 2007, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Q: So there’s no magic bullet?

A: Well, System Safety Monitor – the program that tracks Windows activity in real-time – is as good a place to start as any for combating Pinch-like malware. And, yes, you’ll be pleased to hear that Outpost is likely to do a decent job too.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I should have paid more attention to the details in the wording. Only, I thought of it to be an inaccurate translation because Outpost was named in the same sentence, but of course Outpost PRO is a "firewall with anti-spyware".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version