topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The End of Support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a  (Read 5773 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The End of Support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a
« on: April 11, 2007, 09:44 PM »
This is a week old but important news:

In addition to today being "Patch Tuesday", it's also the day that Microsoft officially pulls the plug on support for Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 1a for Windows XP. If you're unsure what version of XP you're running, go to Start and right click the My Computer icon and select Properties.  The version will be displayed in the System section of the property sheet. If you want to continue receiving critical security updates and patches, update to SP2 that was released on September 17, 2004.

from http://halfbytes.blogspot.com/

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The End of Support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:14 PM »
What's sad is that Microsoft has already announced they will only support Vista Ultimate for four years. (Business and Enterprise for ten.) They don't intend on letting anyone stay long on any OS anymore.

Meanwhile, Linux continues to lure me.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:22 PM »
soon we will have to campaign to compel Microsoft to provide support for every single piece of software written by them.. kind of shows why proprietary software is slowly being shunned outside corporate circle..

* Windows 98 + ME *still* alive campaign

btw, MDGx maintains a terrific site here: MDGx MAX Speed WinDOwS Tricks + Secrets

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Being a WinXP user I really have a problem understanding why some insist on hanging onto Win 98, 2000, ME.
It's a stable OS and has worked well for me since I got it.
But then again to each his own I suppose.
But nothing lasts forever.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 03:34 AM »
Games and some long loved software is what keeps me on windows.

I don't want to upgrade to vista i strongly dislike some of the features, but that means falling behind on games in about 2 years, unless something changes in the industry to make them develop more cross platform stuff...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 06:00 AM »
Being a WinXP user I really have a problem understanding why some insist on hanging onto Win 98, 2000, ME.
It's a stable OS and has worked well for me since I got it.
But then again to each his own I suppose.
But nothing lasts forever.

There are a lot of reasons.

1. Some are disabled and/or elderly and on fixed incomes and can't afford a new pc that can run something newer than 9x, or they can't afford the cost of upgrading the OS.

2. Some are children stuck with a hand-me-down pc because mom & dad aren't going to let them use the new one they bought for themselves. They don't have an income, they don't have a choice.

3. Some are low income families with old pc's they bought cheap or got for free when someone got rid of their old hunk of junk. They can't afford newer & better. What they have can't run a newer OS because of old hardware or because they just can't afford to upgrade. But what they have is better than nothing.

4. Some have a fear of newer things, or feel uncomfortable with the idea of learning a new OS (old is known & comfortable)

5. Some run it on the old pc they kept and decided not to throw away (it's the spare in case of an emergency)

6. Some are collectors of old technology.

7. Some like how light and fast it runs or how simple it is.

8. Some have software they love or need to use that just won't work on anything else.

9. Some just LOVE the old OS's for their own reasons.

I have found myself in categories 3, 5, 8, & 9 at various points in the last 5 years.

And yes, I can see MSFN supporting a 'Keep XP Alive' campaign at some point in the future, just like they are with 9x now.

Understanding this, I try very hard to make sure all the software I write will run on 9x, or that I properly disable what features will not work, and provide an OS appropriate alternative feature if I can. Yeah sure, it can sometimes be a little extra work, but I think people that are stuck with an older OS and can't upgrade are still deserving of software that they can use. And I will continue to do this for as long as my old pc continues to boot up...which could be many years.

There are even people still running Win3.1 with Calmira...and there is even a new version called Calmira XP that can make Win3.1 'look' like XP. (latest version was released 06/03/2006) It even adds extra functionality to 3.1 like supporting long file names.

(looking at all those Calmira screenshots is kind of making me wish I had a really old hunk of junk running 3.1 in addition to my old hunk of junk running ME)  :D

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 07:30 AM »
Imho there's not much reason not to upgrade to SP2 if you're running XP - unless you have the really minimal amount of hardware required to run XP, in which case you'd be better off running win2k.

The single biggest reason for sticking to 9x I've seen, has been app's #4 - which I'll arrogantly name "ignorance" :)
- carpe noctem

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:27 PM »
I've seen people use reason #4 way more than any other myself.
I also agree that if one has WinXP installed then there is really no reason to not be on SP2.
Eventually I'll upgrade to Vista, but not for a while.