ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The End of Support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
This is a week old but important news:

In addition to today being "Patch Tuesday", it's also the day that Microsoft officially pulls the plug on support for Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 1a for Windows XP. If you're unsure what version of XP you're running, go to Start and right click the My Computer icon and select Properties.  The version will be displayed in the System section of the property sheet. If you want to continue receiving critical security updates and patches, update to SP2 that was released on September 17, 2004.

--- End quote ---

http://www.theeldergeek.com/

from http://halfbytes.blogspot.com/

zridling:
What's sad is that Microsoft has already announced they will only support Vista Ultimate for four years. (Business and Enterprise for ten.) They don't intend on letting anyone stay long on any OS anymore.

Meanwhile, Linux continues to lure me.

lanux128:
soon we will have to campaign to compel Microsoft to provide support for every single piece of software written by them.. kind of shows why proprietary software is slowly being shunned outside corporate circle..

* Windows 98 + ME *still* alive campaign

btw, MDGx maintains a terrific site here: MDGx MAX Speed WinDOwS Tricks + Secrets

Cpilot:
Being a WinXP user I really have a problem understanding why some insist on hanging onto Win 98, 2000, ME.
It's a stable OS and has worked well for me since I got it.
But then again to each his own I suppose.
But nothing lasts forever.

iphigenie:
Games and some long loved software is what keeps me on windows.

I don't want to upgrade to vista i strongly dislike some of the features, but that means falling behind on games in about 2 years, unless something changes in the industry to make them develop more cross platform stuff...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version