topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Directory Opus 9  (Read 186031 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 9
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2007, 05:19 PM »
Two humble questions from an avowed Total Commander-er...

1. Does DOpus have anything like Total Commander's command line? I use it all the time, and in DOpus I've only been able to find the "CLI" window, which only seems to process commands internal to DOPus.

2. How can I configure DOPus to give me the equivalent Total Commander's F3=View (i.e. what TC calls lister)? I see there is a viewer, but it always opens in the embedded pane, while I want a separate window, and need to be able to view more than one file at a time. I suppose I could drag the viewer pane to undock it, but that's too much work :)

(TC does nearly everything I need, but I'd like to explore DOPus and I envy the "virtual folders" and the breadcrumbs features, so I was thinking I could buy DOPus and use it for some specific operations. But without a command line and without a superfast View that works *exactly* like TC or better, I wouldn't really be able to use it much.)

.marek

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2007, 05:38 PM »
1. Does DOpus have anything like Total Commander's command line? I use it all the time, and in DOpus I've only been able to find the "CLI" window, which only seems to process commands internal to DOPus.
Type a > character and the Find-As-You-Type field that appears at the bottom of the window will turn into a Command field where you can run any internal Opus command.

Type a ? character and you can run any MS-DOS command.

There are also keys to insert the current filename into the command field, and it can also be used to filter or search for files by name/wildcard. See the Navigation by Keys section of the manual for full details.

2. How can I configure DOPus to give me the equivalent Total Commander's F3=View (i.e. what TC calls lister)? I see there is a viewer, but it always opens in the embedded pane, while I want a separate window, and need to be able to view more than one file at a time. I suppose I could drag the viewer pane to undock it, but that's too much work :)
Go to Tools -> Customize -> Keys and edit the F3 hotkey (or define a new one if there isn't one already) to run the Show command.

If you haven't already, check out the forums, guides and add-ons at http://resource.dopus.com/

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2007, 03:42 PM »

Go to Tools -> Customize -> Keys and edit the F3 hotkey (or define a new one if there isn't one already) to run the Show command.

Oh-my-God, I've just seen the hotkey customization dialog in DOpus! :) The ability to assign a sequence of commands is awesome.

Thanks a lot, Nudel!
.marek
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:44 PM by tranglos »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2007, 12:13 AM »
The multiview plugin for Dopus (which allows you to use Stellent viewers to preview files in the viewer) was broken in 9.1. You can download a fix from the link below. As noted in nudel's post accompanying the fix, this will ship with the next update.

http://resource.dopu...iewtopic.php?p=33841

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Just an update to the above - the multiview bug only shipped in the first couple of days following Dopus 9.1's release, so check out whether or not your installation is functioning correctly before downloading and installing the updated plugin (ie if Multiview is functioning as expected, ignore the above!).

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Thanks, Darwin. The viewer seems to be working fine, though of course I don't know what to expect as correct behavior. The only thing that's bugging me is that for some document types (when the viewer is embedding an ActiveX control, I guess), the viewer window cannot be closed by hitting Esc.

Plus, I can only open one viewer pane at a time. When trying to view another document, the existing viewer window is reused. I'm not happy about this, since in TC I often work with multiple viewers open.

Also, the viewer in TC lets me switch between viewing modes live (ANSI, OEM, Unicode, UTF-8, Hex, etc), with a single keypress. The reason this is important is that sometimes I want to view html files rendered, but other times (more often) I want to view the source. Or try various encodings, to see which one works. I can't find a comparable feature in DOpus viewer (except View As Hex).

In general, DOpus doesn't seem too friendly to keyboard-only navigation. In fact, this was what caused me to uninstall DOpus when I first tried it some months ago). Navigation in DOpus is pretty much the same as in Windows Explorer. Note what happens, for instance, when you press Enter on a folder. The subfolder opens, with the first folder focused but not selected. If you press Enter now, nothing happens. If you press down arrow, DOpus will select the *second* subfolder, probably not what you want. To descend into the first subfolder, you have to press up arrow first. This could be easily fixed in the program, apparently the author just didn't care and users aren't bothered by this. I'm also missing the ".." entry in folder list for going up in a folder tree. Yes, I can see the up arrow above the list, but it's too tiny for fast clicking. I use Backspace instead, but Enter in TC is much nicer: press Enter once to go into a subfolder, press Enter again to go up.

Small things, admittedly, but they slow me down and in general this is how I tell a program is not for me.

(On edit: I've found "Automatically select first file in folder", which helps a little.)

Then again, if a program has been in development for years, is at version 9+ and has a huge user base, I guess I'm not a target user. I get that a lot recently, e.g. with UltraEdit, which has like a million registered users, who apparently don't mind all the usability annoyances, big and small, I have found in 30 minutes of playing with it. Sometimes I want to start a movement to donate a copy of Alan Cooper's "About Face" or Joel Spolsky's "User Interface Design for Programmers" to all our favorite shareware authors, because many of them should really read those, for our benefit :)

marek
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:07 AM by tranglos »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2007, 10:26 AM »
marek, I have the same complaints as you do.  On my end, I was very particular about TC's excellent mouse navigation features.  I wrote several long threads about the subtleties of why it was good in the DOpus forums, but it seemed like nobody else was interested.

It's difficult to convince people to make these little changes that are seemingly insignificant, but actually make the user experience so much better.  It's even hard to describe because it's borderline miniscule...like in your example above, you're explaining pressing the down arrow and enter, etc...most people are probably thinking "So, what's the big deal?"  It's frustrating.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54 AM »
This won't help you, really, Marek and Superboyac, but you can cycle through the viewer filters via the context menu when you initiate it from the viewer itself.

I just counted the number of file managers that I have installed with licences... 11 (12 if you include NT 4's File Manager with Winability FMStepUp and Wincorner's FMView 2 installed - this is a KILLING setup, actually). I keep finding little things about all of them that I love. Have to be honest, though, DOpus reigns supreme for me WRT GUI, ease of use, etc. This could be familiarity more than anything else, but there it is...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: December 18, 2007, 10:58 AM »
[OT]As an aside... I love TC! However, I do find it counter-intuitive NOT to have a context menu at all. This, no doubt, is something that I just need to get used to. That said, I love the keyboard navigation features.

I'm in the minority, it seems, in finding TC's GUI quite attractive, though its masked on my system at the moment because I've installed TC Ultra Prime on top of it.[/OT]

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Darwin, you're crazy!  12 file managers?!  Wow.  If you actually use them all, I'm even more impressed!

As for TC, it does have a context menu...you have to press and hold the right mouse button.  I actually prefer TC's mouse controls over DOpus.  It's one of the few features I can tweak just right on DOpus, otherwise, Dopus is definitely the best of the bunch.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Yeah, well... I have an obsession! I keep buying the damn things! Anyway, I do use them all, but more or less to learn them and their ins and outs. Of course, I don't have time to do this properly so there are major gaps in my knowledge (you know, simple things, like how to bring up a context menu in TC ).

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2007, 01:07 PM »
The only thing that's bugging me is that for some document types (when the viewer is embedding an ActiveX control, I guess), the viewer window cannot be closed by hitting Esc.
You mean the separate viewer window, right? (Not the similar "preview pane" that is joined to the file display. Esc only closes the window not the pane, so I assume you're talking about the window but correct me if I'm wrong.)

I am in the process of re-writing the Opus ActiveX plugin so I'll see if I can make Esc close the viewer window. To be honest I had never thought of that before since I almost never view that kind of document in the viewer window. (In the preview panel I view them a lot, but if I double-click them they open in Word or Firefox themselves rather than an Opus viewer window. Personally, I only really use the viewer window for pictures.)

Plus, I can only open one viewer pane at a time. When trying to view another document, the existing viewer window is reused. I'm not happy about this, since in TC I often work with multiple viewers open.
Hmm, now I think you're talking about the preview pane since you can definitely open more than one viewer window in Opus. Select a file and use File->File Commands->Show Pictures to open the file in a viewer window. Do it to another file and you'll get a second viewer window. Of course, if you use it a lot you can move the command to somewhere more convenient (e.g. a toolbar) and/or give it a hotkey. (And maybe rename it since "Show Pictures" doesn't really do the viewer justice, hehe.)

Also, the viewer in TC lets me switch between viewing modes live (ANSI, OEM, Unicode, UTF-8, Hex, etc), with a single keypress. The reason this is important is that sometimes I want to view html files rendered, but other times (more often) I want to view the source. Or try various encodings, to see which one works. I can't find a comparable feature in DOpus viewer (except View As Hex).
If you want the Text plugin to let you switch encodings you should send GPSoft a feature request since that's one of their ones.

To view an HTML file as text you could make a button/hotkey which runs Show PLUGIN=Text although that will open a new viewer rather than switch the format of an existing one. You can change the format of an existing one using the menus, which allow you to tell it to use a different plugin, but it takes several clicks and probably isn't that useful if you want something you can click to quickly flick between things.

I guess I could add something to the ActiveX plugin to allow you to toggle between IE and a text display of HTML files. Should be fairly easy, thinking about it. I'll add that to my list. I'd find that useful myself now that you mention it.

In general, DOpus doesn't seem too friendly to keyboard-only navigation.
I don't use the keyboard much myself so I'm not in a position to disagree but you can put just about any command on hotkeys, as well as make hotkeys which jump the focus to certain parts of the window (e.g. left tree, or filter edit box, or whatever). I know there are one or two things that need fixing, like how you can open the Find panel with a hotkey but have to use the mouse to close it, but I think Opus is pretty keyboard-friendly, at least if you configure some hotkeys to do what you want.

The subfolder opens, with the first folder focused but not selected. If you press Enter now, nothing happens. If you press down arrow, DOpus will select the *second* subfolder, probably not what you want. To descend into the first subfolder, you have to press up arrow first. This could be easily fixed in the program, apparently the author just didn't care and users aren't bothered by this.
You've found the option to stop this happening so I guess it's not so important, but when you push Return it's the same as double-clicking all selected files. If no files are selected then nothing happens. As well as pushing Up you can push Space to select the file with the keyboard focus.

Having said that, it probably would make sense to have a special case where if return is pushed and nothing is selected then the file/dir with the keyboard focus gets "double-clicked". I'll send in a feature request along those lines.

I'm also missing the ".." entry in folder list for going up in a folder tree. Yes, I can see the up arrow above the list, but it's too tiny for fast clicking.
You could make two full-sized toolbar buttons which go up in the left and right sides if you just want a bigger target to click on. (There's already a toolbar button which goes up in the active side, of course.)

I use Backspace instead, but Enter in TC is much nicer: press Enter once to go into a subfolder, press Enter again to go up.
This, combined with your complained above about having to push an extra arrow key to select the folder you want to enter, seems more like you're just used to exactly how TC works and want Opus to be the same, even if it doesn't make a lot of difference.

In TC if you want to enter the first folder then you have to push down-arrow to skip over the ".." item, so it's as many keypresses as in Opus without the "automatically select first folder" option, and one extra keypress than in Opus with the option on.

If you've just entered a folder by pushing return and then want to go up, you only have to move your finger one key to the backspace key, and I'd say there is value in having one key which always goes up (Backspace) and another key which always goes down (Return).

Then again, if a program has been in development for years, is at version 9+ and has a huge user base, I guess I'm not a target user. I get that a lot recently, e.g. with UltraEdit, which has like a million registered users, who apparently don't mind all the usability annoyances, big and small, I have found in 30 minutes of playing with it.
You seem to be assuming that the little things that bug you a lot are shared by everyone else? Maybe nobody, or very few people, have noticed and commented on them before, but if you mention them to GPSoftware they'll tweak things? I can't tell you how many good ideas come from people which nobody has thought of or mentioned in the past, even when it's at version 9, and often people are amazed that they're the first to mention them.

Of course, some ideas take more convincing than others, but sometimes if someone mentions something it's an instant "yeah; never thought of that or used the program that way before, but they've got a point and it doesn't break anything else so let's do it" moment.

Joel Spolsky's "User Interface Design for Programmers" to all our favorite shareware authors, because many of them should really read those, for our benefit :)
Joel is strange for me. I seem to strongly agree with half of what he says and strongly disagree with the other half, with no middle ground. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2007, 01:34 PM »
Thanks for the response with pointers, nudel. Always great to see  you around here  :Thmbsup:

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2007, 04:42 PM »
who apparently don't mind all the usability annoyances, big and small, I have found in 30 minutes of playing with it.

Specifics?

One of the nicest things about UltraEdit is its customizability.  There are probably a few too many options and workarounds to learn about in thirty minutes.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2007, 07:26 PM »
who apparently don't mind all the usability annoyances, big and small, I have found in 30 minutes of playing with it.

Specifics?

One of the nicest things about UltraEdit is its customizability.  There are probably a few too many options and workarounds to learn about in thirty minutes.

If you have the new version (13.20, with or without the latest hotfix), try opening any file in UltraEdit, then minimize the editor, and see if you like what you see :) If you don't catch on immediately, with UE still minimized to the taskbar (not the tray) press Ctrl+F, or whatever shortcut you've assigned to Search -> Find. Yes, it's totally broken, and yes, I've reported the bug, and yes, the developers have confirmed it. I'm just surprised it took a trial user to report a bug that happens to be quite bothersome (esp. when you switch applications often). Meaning, I hope everyone else didn't think it was a cool new UltraEdit feature :)

Or in any version, double-click empty area where the file tabs are. That I guess is not a bug, since it's been like that forever, it's just weird and doesn't seem to serve a purpose.

I'll post some of my favorite UE annoyances, since it looks like I'll be buying it out of necessity anyway. That'll be a spearate thread, and tomorrow, since it's past 2 a.m. where I a.m.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:29 PM by tranglos »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2007, 08:14 PM »
You mean the separate viewer window, right? (Not the similar "preview pane" that is joined to the file display. Esc only closes the window not the pane, so I assume you're talking about the window but correct me if I'm wrong.)

I mean the separate window, yes.

(In the preview panel I view them a lot, but if I double-click them they open in Word or Firefox themselves rather than an Opus viewer window. Personally, I only really use the viewer window for pictures.)

See, this is where one gets a very different experience depending on the particulars of the tasks one performs. EmEditor - a fantastically configurable editor, and practically the only editor for Windows that handles *all* Unicode files correctly and reliably all the time - does not have a "replace in all open documents" feature. It's a mature product, so apparently no-one has requested it much. Myself, I need this function a few times every day, sometimes many times an hour, when working for a particular client. Sometimes "Replace in files" can substitute, other times it cannot, because I need to see and double-check the results immediately, lest I do something stupid that will corrupt the files. So I need to run another editor side-by-side, because it's missing one simple feature, while thousands of other people never notice that it's missing.

But back to the viewer...

I use TC's viewer all the time, and almost never to view pictures :) Most often I use it in conjunction with the search feature, to view all kinds of documents, usually in some dense xml-based format, to look up various things. Often there is no application associated with a filetype, or opening the file in the application would take a long time (the files can be quite large), or I'm searching for stuff in hundreds of files at a time, which no GUI text editor will handle comfortably, *or* the application associated with the files is itself slow, awkward to use and/or has a much inferior search functionality. (I'm talking about various "trade" applications used in software localization; you'd think they'd all have excellent search built in, since it's almost their whole purpose in life - I certainly thought so once :) Sometimes the associated application is designed to hide things from me, like XML tags, that I need to be able to see - a frequent case where programmers wrote software for translators seemingly without ever having consulted one.

Hmm, now I think you're talking about the preview pane since you can definitely open more than one viewer window in Opus. Select a file and use File->File Commands->Show Pictures to open the file in a viewer window. Do it to another file and you'll get a second viewer window.

Interesting. This is just what I do, and I always get a single viewer window. I assigned F3 to "View file" command. Select a file, press F3, get a separate viewer window. Without closing it, switch back to DOpus, press F3 on a different file -> the new file replaces the previous one in the same, single viewer window. (Not the internal pane.)

Another thing I've noticed:

I tried to view a PDF file. The viewer window opens empty, then Acrobat Reader opens with the document, but mostly covered by the blank viewer window.

Then I viewed an HTML file, saved from the browser. The file has a BASE HREF tag in it, so the embedded browser connects out to the site. I don't know what went wrong there, but all I got was a blank page, with no content at all, and the viewer wouldn't respond to clicking the close button for a few seconds. (I guess it was hanging there waiting for the remote server.) This is my main issue with viewers that invoke or embed handler applications instead of just showing the file contents: you get nothing if the application is unable to render the document. Try opening a badly formed XML file in IE - all you'll see is an error message. Not good. I need a viewer that will let me see the actual content, so I can still do whatever I need to do.

To view an HTML file as text you could make a button/hotkey which runs Show PLUGIN=Text

That's exactly what I need. Thanks!

(I must say DOpus has an excellent trial policy, the best I've seen, except for infinite trials, which are mostly a thing of the past. The 60-day extension will be immensely useful, because there are plenty of things I like in DOpus and want to keep trying it out, but it does take time.)

I'm also missing the ".." entry in folder list for going up in a folder tree. Yes, I can see the up arrow above the list, but it's too tiny for fast clicking.
You could make two full-sized toolbar buttons which go up in the left and right sides if you just want a bigger target to click on. (There's already a toolbar button which goes up in the active side, of course.)

I haven't figured out yet how to make separate toolbars for the left and right lister; I'd love to have two drive bars, one for each side (it's faster than having to click a lister first, then pick a drive). It looks like you've just hinted this can be done, so I'll go digging.

This, combined with your complained above about having to push an extra arrow key to select the folder you want to enter, seems more like you're just used to exactly how TC works and want Opus to be the same, even if it doesn't make a lot of difference.

I will grant that, and still point out that I'm mostly flagging the things that slow me down. Naturally, there's a lot I have to find out about DOpus. Right now I get awed at some newly discovered feature one minute, then find things that are flying in TC, which in DOPus proceed more slowly (example: in TC dragging any file to the toolbar makes a new button, then I can right-click any button to change its icon, associated command etc.; in DOpus this doesn't seem available).

Then again, if a program has been in development for years, is at version 9+ and has a huge user base, I guess I'm not a target user. I get that a lot recently, e.g. with UltraEdit, which has like a million registered users, who apparently don't mind all the usability annoyances, big and small, I have found in 30 minutes of playing with it.
You seem to be assuming that the little things that bug you a lot are shared by everyone else?

No, that's about the opposite of what I said :) I assume I am *not* the target audience, i.e. I use the application in a weird idiomatic ways that were not in the developers' usage scenarios. I'd always like to think that developers *had* usage scenarios in the first place, though!

Joel Spolsky's "User Interface Design for Programmers" to all our favorite shareware authors, because many of them should really read those, for our benefit :)
Joel is strange for me. I seem to strongly agree with half of what he says and strongly disagree with the other half, with no middle ground. :)

Same here, and I disagree with Alan Cooper even more. But just reading a book like that makes you think about a lot of things for the first time; things you may never have considered as issues to resolve. It makes you more aware of what you're doing to people using your software.

.marek

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: December 18, 2007, 09:00 PM »

I tried to view a PDF file. The viewer window opens empty, then Acrobat Reader opens with the document, but mostly covered by the blank viewer window.

Strange it doesn't do that for me - the PDF file is opened in an Acrobat pane within the separate viewer window.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2007, 09:27 PM »

Strange it doesn't do that for me - the PDF file is opened in an Acrobat pane within the separate viewer window.

This might have something to do with the version of Acrobat Reader, who knows. It did look pretty strange :)

On Edit: Better idea: in Acrobat Reader options, I once disabled the "show in browser" feature, because I don't like it when Acrobat freezes Firefox for a long while as it loads the document. So maybe now Acrobat considers itself non-embeddable at all. Makes sense as a side-effect of disabling that feature.

marek
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:29 PM by tranglos »

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2008, 06:08 AM »
I see Zaine is up to his usual BS:
http://www.thegsblog.com/?p=228 (warning: NOT SAFE FOR WORK)

(Edit: Added the NSFW warning after someone here PM'd me after they got unsuitable images on their screen in the office/at work. Sorry! I forgot there isn't just software on The Great Software Blog. :( )

Zaine, why can't you manage not to mention Opus whenever you pimp XYPlorer? So you like one product over an other. Fine. Talk about XY all you want. But why do you have to slip in stupid jabs at Opus all the time? And why can't you manage to be objective instead of extremely biased and full of crap? :-(

A while ago you were accusing Opus of "stealing" features from XY because an Opus update happened to add a couple of minute things that XY had. You have since then praised XY updates many times for adding features that Opus has had for YEARS, without applying the same standard to your pet app. (I am not accusing XY of stealing features. I am accusing you of bias, double-standards and downright stupidity.) Here you are doing it again... Maybe XY will also be "bloat-ass" by the time it catches up to Opus's feature set? ("bloat-ass" as in "oh no the program won't fit on a floppy disk how will I run it on my 286!?!?", apparently.)

Sheesh. Please just leave Opus out of it. I'm sick of reading your stupidity.

(To anyone who doesn't know, please note that I don't write or sell Opus. I'm just an active member of its community who is sick to death of seeing Zaine's stupid comments appear all over the web.)

(Posted here because I've never managed to post a comment to Zaine's blog and have it actually appear, except in the same browser that posted it.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:22 AM by Nudel »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2008, 06:18 AM »
I am not a moderator, but this is not the "Complain at zaine" Forum or website. Please, in the future, post your transgressions to a private message because I for one, and I know I am not alone, don't care.

While you might not have been able to post to zaines blog, there is probably a reason. I would delete comments by someone who seems to have an insatiable interest in my own reviews. I am sorry, but this type of posting (which you seem to do repeatedly) actually hurts DOpus and it's reputation as it makes you appear desperate to have to debunk any and all negative comments.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:23 AM by Josh »

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2008, 06:31 AM »
While you might not have been able to post to zaines blog, there is probably a reason. I would delete comments by someone who seems to have an insatiable interest in my own reviews.
Please have a look through the history of this thread before you judge my word vs Zaine's word, and to get an understanding of how Zaine has been antagonistic towards Opus. Surely you can understand me being annoyed at this? Wouldn't you be annoyed if someone kept dragging something you liked through the mud unfairly and without reason?

I am sorry, but this type of posting (which you seem to do repeatedly) actually hurts DOpus and it's reputation as it makes you appear desperate to have to debunk any and all negative comments.
I don't debunk "any and all negative comments," I debug false and unfair comments. If you disagree please show me an example where I've done otherwise. :( Even within this very thread I have confirmed several things that Opus can't do or doesn't do as well as other things. I don't claim Opus is perfect and nor do I try to silence anyone who says they think something else is better for their needs. I went out of my way to make that clear earlier in the thread and I've done my best to be helpful with people's questions regarding Opus in this thread and elsewhere... It's just that Zaine's constant BS makes my blood boil, TBH.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:33 AM by Nudel »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2008, 06:34 AM »
I would be annoyed yes, but posting to a forum which has nothing to do with zaine's comments it inappropriate. Surely you would be annoyed if you saw someone post a personal grievance against another user in a way that is unnecessary and draws unneeded attention to something that can be handled privately?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2008, 06:41 AM »
I would be annoyed yes, but posting to a forum which has nothing to do with zaine's comments it inappropriate. Surely you would be annoyed if you saw someone post a personal grievance against another user in a way that is unnecessary and draws unneeded attention to something that can be handled privately?

I think the point is that it is in public and not private. The issues about Zaine's comments on Dopus and XYplorer and the loss of comments made to his blog have been raised previously in this topic.

tbh, I'm not sure that Zaine is doing much for XYplorer by carping on about his views on Dopus.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2008, 06:44 AM »
Yes, but do they really need to be brought to DC? If Nudel has something against ZR, then I think that needs to be handled with him and not on the public forum of DC in an attempt to solicit a response here. This is hardly the most appropriate place.

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2008, 06:46 AM »
Handling it privately doesn't add any balance to what he keeps saying in public. That's the problem. I've tried posting comments on his blog. None of them make it through or get a reply. I've never been more rude to Zaine than he has been rude to Opus, so I don't see any reason for him not to publish my comments and questions/challenges about what he has written, but he either chooses not to or fails to configure his blog properly.

He keeps saying stupid things no matter what, so I doubt a private message would make him change his ways. I know he reads here, and other people who know him read here, so my choices are either to ignore what he says or post about it here. Or to start my own public blog purely for the sake of debunking what Zaine says on his, I suppose; but isn't it better to reply to someone's comments in a place where people who read those comments are likely to see?

Usually I just try to ignore it, but sometimes I feel like I have to say _something_.

Anyway, this sub-thread is probably going to annoy uninterested people even more, so I'll shut up now.

PS: Josh, you replied to me in public here rather than sending me a PM. Maybe you understand why I am responding to Zaine in public more than you think? :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 07:05 AM by Nudel »