ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 9

<< < (6/50) > >>

cthorpe:
Good Lord... I just got home and looked over that preview... Even if I wasn't entitled to a free upgrade, I'd get it anyway.  Most of the new features look great.

Carl

Darwin:
Zaine posted this on his blog:

GPSoft only provided two minor updates to Directory Opus 8, and now they want almost 66% of the full price for an upgrade, with several options being left out of the main program unless you want to pay for them. That’s bullshit, and reason enough to claim that GPSoft is hostile to its current paying customers.
--- End quote ---

I had a flash of annoyance yesterday afternoon when thinking about the issue of DOpus 8 getting only two point releases since it shipped. I can't remember what version DOpus 6.x was at when development switched to 8, but an imperfect memory is telling me that DOpus 6 was "current" for three or four years before a paid upgrade was required...

I managed to edit out of a previous post this observation: XYPlorer would be perfect if it had a dual-pane feature. Actually, I can't figure out if it does or not (so I presume that it doesn't)! If it does and I am a dolt, someone please educate me!

superboyac:
Well, Zaine does have a point.  I wouldn't say that XYPlorer would be at the same level of DOpus if only for a dual-pane feature, but I can certainly understand where he's coming from.  As great as DOpus is, their pricing is a little hostile.  I've even seen some people on other forums question GPSoft's pricing scheme compared to other similar programs, and GPsoft didn't take too kindly to it.

Realistically speaking, all we can hope for is a nice discount here at DC, otherwise, if you want it you'll have to pay for it.

Darwin:
yup - no arguments with you on any point, superboyac. I've seen the defensiveness from DOpus' developer's over their pricing myself and you're right, it's not pretty! I don't know... I keep coming back to the essential point, which is that DOpus is an EXCELLENT product and I am really excited about the new version.

I take your point about XYplorer. My point was that I'd possibly be more motivated to switch to it as my main FM if it featured a dual pane view. It is very robust, but can't come near DOpus on feature set. I LIVE in DOpus and can't imagine life without it. As I am still on XP and have no plans to switch to Vista, there's actually no reason for me not to just stick with DOpus 8 - DOpus 9's release isn't going to render 8 junk! It'll continue to be what it is, an excellent file manager...

Content but conflicted in Courtenay, Canada  :P

cthorpe:
Zaine posted this on his blog:

GPSoft only provided two minor updates to Directory Opus 8, and now they want almost 66% of the full price for an upgrade, with several options being left out of the main program unless you want to pay for them. That’s bullshit, and reason enough to claim that GPSoft is hostile to its current paying customers.
--- End quote ---
-Darwin (April 13, 2007, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

What qualifies as a minor update?  There were multiple minor updates since 8.0.  The amount of updates and fixes from 8.1.0.8 alone takes 35 pages to list.  And don't forget that the move up to 8.2 was a significant update.

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/files/Opus%2082%20Changes.pdf

Yes, I would love to see free updates for all customers, or at least a year of update protection, but the software is excellent, and bugfixes and new features are released more often than the blog mentioned above gives credit for.

Also, as Darwin said, DO8 will continue to work.  It is extreamly powerful, and those minor updates I mentioned took care of a lot of bugs.  If you don't want to pay for the upgrade, stick with version 8.  It's not like an anti-virus program that will fail as soon as you fail to update it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version