topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Directory Opus 9  (Read 185619 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 9
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2010, 02:33 AM »
I have to say that I purchased DOpus 9 over two years ago, thinking it was pretty darned expensive but I had such good recommendation for it - I think from Darwin - so I purchased a license plus a USB Export license. Two plus years and all updates have been included and I love it to boot; heck, I can't complain.

Jim

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2010, 11:33 PM »
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

BuBBy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: August 19, 2010, 05:19 AM »
Directory Opus 9

Deal Available: 26 AUG ’10 THURSDAY at http://www.bitsdujou...re/directory-opus-9/

Deal Price:  $44.68  (34.78 Euro)
You Save:   40%
List Price:   $76.61 / 85 AUD / 59.67 EUR

exchange rates at 19.08.2010 from http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Opus licensing is easy and simple. It is machine-based not user-based.
Purchase an Install Licence for each machine on which you install the program

This license is only valid for the 9.xy branch launched at April 27th 2007,
currently there is 9.5.4 recent from June 3rd 2010. See http://www.gpsoft.com.au/History.html
There will be an discounted upgrade to Directory Opus 10.

USB and FTP cost $10 AUD extra each. See https://www.gpsoft.c...u/DScripts/order.asp

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: August 19, 2010, 05:49 AM »
This might indicate that ver 10 is right around the corner. It's about that time.

I love DirOpus and think it is worth the high price but, be warned that the upgrade costs are usually quite high also.

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: August 19, 2010, 08:16 AM »
This might indicate that ver 10 is right around the corner. It's about that time.

I don't think the deal is related to Opus 10. On the previous page someone said the same about a similar deal from the same people in January.

I love DirOpus and think it is worth the high price but, be warned that the upgrade costs are usually quite high also.

In the past, when new versions came out people who bought the old ones recently were given more discounted upgrades. People who bought really recently got upgraded for free. I can't speak for GPSoftware and say for sure what they'll do when Opus 10 is finally ready but they seem to understand it's good not to punish people for buying at the wrong time and good to reduce the amount of second-guessing people have to do about upgrade timing.

(With that in mind, in general the upgrade prices are not high when you consider how often you're asked to pay them, which is every 3-4 years for a substantial update (with lots of free, and sometimes substantial, ones in between). It's not one of those products where you get charged for a minor update every year like clockwork. :) What they give away free between version-changes is better than the updates many companies ask people to pay for.)

Of course, there are times when buying gets you more free updates than others but it you do buy when Opus 10 is imminent then you'll probably get a very discounted, or even free, update.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: August 19, 2010, 09:36 AM »
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the upgrade price is too high. I'm a fan of the software and upgraded from ver 8. I bought ver 8 at a discount offered here for DC members. I remember that I paid as much for the upgrade as I did for the initial (discounted) purchase.

If I thought the upgrade price was too high then I would not have upgraded.

When it does come time to upgrade it will be interesting to see what the roadmap is for the next version. Truthfully, ver 9 does everything I need it to do. I upgraded from 8 to 9 because ver 9 was Vista compatible and 8 was not. I wonder if there will be any compelling feature that will make me upgrade. (who am I kidding? I'm a sucker for always having the latest software!)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: August 19, 2010, 10:25 AM »
Directory Opus 9

Opus licensing is easy and simple. It is machine-based not user-based.
Purchase an Install Licence for each machine on which you install the program

This license is only valid for the 9.xy branch launched at April 27th 2007,
currently there is 9.5.4 recent from June 3rd 2010. See http://www.gpsoft.com.au/History.html
There will be an discounted upgrade to Directory Opus 10.

USB and FTP cost $10 AUD extra each. See https://www.gpsoft.c...u/DScripts/order.asp

Unless the licensing has changed you are permitted to install DOpus on one main computer and one portable/notebook computer with the single license.

I purchased this in September 2007 so that is three years and a whole lot of updates, some fairly major, without any additional cost. I feel like I have gotten my money's worth!

Thanks!

Jim

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56 AM »

Unless the licensing has changed you are permitted to install DOpus on one main computer and one portable/notebook computer with the single license.

I don't think it has changed and I don't think multi installs are authorized. You can buy a single license or a dual license. The dual license obviously costs more but you can then install on 2 machines.

From their site:
The single install Licence allows you to install Directory Opus on a single computer.

You can also buy a USB export license which allows you to export a licensed copy to a USB drive. That is only $10 more.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2010, 11:07 AM »
I got the USB export license a couple of years ago when they got all strict with the computers at my old job.  it works great.

I will admit that the DOpus pricing is relatively expensive compared to its competitors.  On the other hand, it's also relatively more powerful than the competitors.  So I kind of have no problem paying it whenever the time comes.  That's the thing with good software, I don't mind paying for it if it's the best and I'm using it a lot.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: August 19, 2010, 12:06 PM »
I don't think it has changed and I don't think multi installs are authorized. You can buy a single license or a dual license. The dual license obviously costs more but you can then install on 2 machines.

From their site:
The single install Licence allows you to install Directory Opus on a single computer.

The license changed a year or two ago.  See here:

Please Note:

* Multiple-install licences are only for use at a single site. The use of Opus at multiple sites requires purchase of separate licences for each site. Volume site discounts are available - please contact sales for details.
* Single, Dual and Five Install Licence packs include one free personal laptop Licence for the registered owner. In addition to the number of licensed installs the registered owner may install Opus on a single, personal laptop owned by the registered user.

* Emphasis by me.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: August 19, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Thanks 4wd. I think it must have been longer than that because that was shown to me back in 2007 when I purchased DOpus. I sent an email to support asking about it and was given a link directly to that or a very similar clause. I just purchased a single license plus a USB export license back then.

Thanks!

Jim

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I never realized that. Good to know.

I think their wording could use some work. The one statement seems pretty unambigous; "on a single computer". I certainly consider my laptop a computer.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Thanks 4wd. I think it must have been longer than that because that was shown to me back in 2007 .....

Probably was, time becomes more fluid when you're retired :)

I think their wording could use some work. The one statement seems pretty unambigous; "on a single computer". I certainly consider my laptop a computer.

If you only have laptops then I guess you can install a Single license on two laptops you own, (in theory).  I've a Dual license and have it installed on my desktop and my two laptops.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:02 PM by 4wd »

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2010, 03:46 PM »
That's the thing with good software, I don't mind paying for it if it's the best and I'm using it a lot.

Right on.   8)
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: August 19, 2010, 04:09 PM »
The license change (to permit a single license to be used on both a laptop and a desktop) occurred when DOpus went to version 9.  When I bought version 8, I bought a dual license so I could put it on both.  I was expecting to have to upgrade the dual license, but I found to my delight that the policy had changed and that I could buy a single license upgrade and use it on both.  So whenever version 9 came out is when the change occurred.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2010, 06:22 PM »
I like DOpus a lot but I'm still pretty disillusioned by their approach to upgrades in the past:
they gave a fair upgrade price for a limited timed after the new version is released. After that time the upgrade price was increased to around 90% of the full price. I dont think this is a very nice way to treat your customers....
I think an upgrade price should be just that - a fixed price to upgrade from one version to the next. It's fair enough to give a lesser reduction (or none) from an older version again.
Tom

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2010, 08:45 PM »
I like DOpus a lot but I'm still pretty disillusioned by their approach to upgrades in the past:
they gave a fair upgrade price for a limited timed after the new version is released. After that time the upgrade price was increased to around 90% of the full price.
FWIW, the time limit (before the upgrade discount was reduced) was 2.5 years after the previous purchase, which doesn't seem too bad to me.

I dont think this is a very nice way to treat your customers....
If you haven't bought something from someone for 2.5 years, are you really still a customer of theirs? :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Well, yep. I, for example, am a lifetime customer of some without having paid for a very, very long period.  :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2010, 03:08 AM »
they gave a fair upgrade price for a limited timed after the new version is released. After that time the upgrade price was increased to around 90% of the full price.
FWIW, the time limit (before the upgrade discount was reduced) was 2.5 years after the previous purchase, which doesn't seem too bad to me.

I dont think this is a very nice way to treat your customers....
If you haven't bought something from someone for 2.5 years, are you really still a customer of theirs? :)

I take your points but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth (and yes I stand by my definition of an upgrade: "I think an upgrade price should be just that - a fixed price to upgrade from one version to the next."
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: August 20, 2010, 03:53 AM »
I stand by my definition of an upgrade: "I think an upgrade price should be just that - a fixed price to upgrade from one version to the next."

Fair point but if I were you I'd start saying goodbye to upgrade pricing - where Microsoft go other developers generally follow (look at product activation as a really bad example) and MS is dropping upgrade pricing on flagship products such as Office. What's the betting that Windows 8 won't have upgrade pricing.

A lot of smaller companies feel they have to offer upgrade prices because the big companies do - once they don't feel that pressure I'd guess upgrades either won't exist or will be much less generous.

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: August 20, 2010, 07:36 AM »
(look at product activation as a really bad example)
It's all about the implementation for me. I use a few games & apps (plus Windows itself) that use activation and I don't mind it at all because it doesn't get in my way and is reasonable (e.g. usually allows re-activation if you don't do it too frequently, so you can reinstall you machine every so often even if you forget or are unable to deactivate things).

I did cause Windows to deactivate once when I was troubleshooting some hardware (added/removed something enough times that it decided something was up), but that was resolved with a 5 minute phone call, even though it was midnight on a weekend, so it didn't bother me.

On the other hand, there are products I want but will not buy because of the DRM. e.g. Some Ubisoft single-player games now require that they can talk to authentication servers constantly; if the server or your net connection has a hiccup (or god forbid you want to playing the game because the net is down and you have nothing else to do!*) then the game exits. That's taking things too far and I won't pay for it.

(*Then again, that problem affects things like Steam -- you need to be online to start it unless you've planned for offline usage in advance -- but I still buy games on that. Steam's DRM does annoy me in some ways but it also provides a lot of convenience on the flip-side so it's sort-of even, I guess.)

For me, it comes down to "does it get in my way or bog my machine down?" If it doesn't then I don't mind it. I know other people feel more strongly, though. Maybe they've run into issues that I haven't.

and MS is dropping upgrade pricing on flagship products such as Office. What's the betting that Windows 8 won't have upgrade pricing.

Wow. I had to look that up to confirm it. I hadn't heard about it and thought surely there was some caveat or something, but you're right.

That seems really wrong to me, unless what they've done is reduce the full-version pricing to what the upgrade pricing used to be, in which case it's to the customer's advantage (or no different for people upgrading) and fine.

(But otherwise, they're effectively asking people to pay full-price again for something that they already own a large part of. That seems especially poor with Office where, aside from the 2007 update, new versions typically don't change that much stuff that people actually use.)

Maybe it was just that home users don't tend to upgrade Office in the first place so why bother with the upgrade SKUs. :)