topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Directory Opus 9  (Read 185613 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 9
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2007, 05:13 PM »
It's strange a 9.0.0.1 update was mentioned, yet when I check for updates in my 9.0.0.0 that I have installed, I'm told that I have the latest version running already.

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2007, 05:25 PM »
It's strange a 9.0.0.1 update was mentioned, yet when I check for updates in my 9.0.0.0 that I have installed, I'm told that I have the latest version running already.
See a couple of posts back. The auto-updater is lagging behind what's available on the website (on purpose).

For a guide to the main new features in Opus 9, see my page: http://nudel.dopus.com/opus9/ (There are lots more changes in the Release Notes but that takes longer to read and isn't full of pretty pictures like my overview/guide is. :) )

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2007, 05:34 PM »
I had the same experience, but visited the gpsoft download page, downloaded and installed the update and all is well...

reko100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Fry You!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Hi, i just transfer from xplorer2 to DOpus 9.0...wow that's certainly an upgrade worth my time... :Thmbsup:

Although the strength of DOpus is in its customisation, i am able to work very comfortablely with the default settings...

Just wondering if i mess up the settings or not, is it common for DOpus to exit after a certain time of inactivity?

As it exit by itself twice this morning....

reko100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Fry You!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2007, 10:17 PM »
oh, also is there a way to only open one instances of itself???

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2007, 12:34 AM »
oh, also is there a way to only open one instances of itself???
Screenshot - 5_7_2007 , 11_29_02 PM.png
Those 2 options on the left combined with the highlighted option on the right might be enough for what you want.

So far as I know, Directory Opus doesn't have any kind of timeout or anything.

reko100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Fry You!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2007, 12:36 AM »
Thank you...maybe i will go to the DOpus forum to find out more....

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2007, 01:14 AM »
Just wondering if i mess up the settings or not, is it common for DOpus to exit after a certain time of inactivity?

As it exit by itself twice this morning....
If something crashes then it might cause Opus to exit. Usually the culprits are shell extensions but it's quite rare. Another possible cause of unexpected exits is using a pirate version, but let's not go there. :)

reko100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Fry You!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2007, 03:57 AM »
ok, I have reinstall DOpus and have not have an unrxpected exit for the past two hours...going to cross my fingers.. :P

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2007, 06:03 AM »
Opus 9.0.0.2 just got release with a few more fixes for issues that people raised in the support forum. Like 9.0.0.1 it probably won't be on the auto-updater (at least for a while). Here's the list of changes:
http://resource.dopu...iewtopic.php?p=23152

I wish I got support like this from some of the other products I've bought. :( Venturing out of the Opus forums to seek support for other software/hardware is a harsh reminder of how poor most support is. I feel lucky if someone even replies to my messages, let alone fixes/improves things in response, let alone after only a few days.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2007, 08:21 AM »
Sad, but true, Leo. The good news is that DOpus support is so good! Thanks for the heads up about this one - I'm off to check it out!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2007, 09:42 AM »
Hi all,

Just a note to let you all know that DOpus 9.0.0.3 is out (you have to download it manually from here as the "check for latest version" link doesn't pick it up from the Help menu within the program).

Changes are listed here (pdf file).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 12:05 PM by Darwin »

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2007, 11:23 AM »
I bought the upgrade, and though it was a little more expensive than I would have liked, it's still a nice piece of software. I am saddened that I still cannot use it to replace Explorer on my 64-bit Vista PC. It works, but then things like the control panel icons (in regular explorer) disappear.

Unfortunately it seemed to be working great while I was testing it, and it does otherwise work well as an explorer replacement on my machine, but it breaks the control panel, Windows update, and probably any other 64-bit applications that are supposed to run through explorer.

I know 64-bit machines aren't supported by GPSoft, but I wonder how complicated it would be to bypass dopus altogether for the 64-bit components while still replacing explorer.
--
Ben M

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2007, 12:12 PM »
broken85 - I have no experience with, and no access to, the 64-bit version of windows but have you tried playing with the Windows Explorer Replacement settings in DOpus? The setup in this screenshot should be the best of both worlds:

Dopus Windows Explorer replacement.pngDirectory Opus 9

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 9 - do we get a donationcoder member discount ?
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2007, 01:17 AM »
I just got a upgrade quote from Dopus 8 to Dopus 9 and it's for Aust$50. That's a bit steep.

I might just give it a miss as I probably could live with existing functionality of Dopus 8.

On the other hand does anyone know if we donationcoders can get a discount for the upgrade ? That might change my mind.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2007, 07:46 AM »
The donationcoder discount cannot be applied to the price of an upgrade, as far as I or anyone else in this thread could tell. There was some talk of an approach to GPSoft about the possibility of a Donationcoder discount to the upgrade but I don't think anything came of it.

FWIW patteo, I had initially decided against upgrading myself but did the day it came out and am glad I did. It's got a ton of great new features, is more responsive than 8, and overall it's just been "tweaked". Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure that this version is a MUST have upgrade over 8 but I suspect that 9.1 or 9.2 will as some features slated for 9 didn't make it in but have been promised for later builds. Note that the $10 AUS for a portable licence is worth it, in my opinion. It's awesome to be able to troubleshoot someone else's computer without having to fuss around with Windows Explorer.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:57 AM by Darwin »

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2007, 10:03 AM »
The donationcoder discount cannot be applied to the price of an upgrade, as far as I or anyone else in this thread could tell. There was some talk of an approach to GPSoft about the possibility of a Donationcoder discount to the upgrade but I don't think anything came of it.

FWIW patteo, I had initially decided against upgrading myself but did the day it came out and am glad I did. It's got a ton of great new features, is more responsive than 8, and overall it's just been "tweaked". Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure that this version is a MUST have upgrade over 8 but I suspect that 9.1 or 9.2 will as some features slated for 9 didn't make it in but have been promised for later builds. Note that the $10 AUS for a portable licence is worth it, in my opinion. It's awesome to be able to troubleshoot someone else's computer without having to fuss around with Windows Explorer.

Hmm, I wonder if our Discount Coordinator cthorpe would have sufficient persuasive powers with GPsoft.

I'm one of those who would probably have given Dopus a miss if not for the donationcoder forum. I did look at it in a much earlier version but just kind of winged it without looking at it much deeper until I followed the discussion at Donationcoder.

Perhaps there are many others here like me.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I'm one of those who would probably have given Dopus a miss if not for the donationcoder forum

I've already purchased the upgrade, so a new discount would not apply to me, but I'm also someone who would not be a DOpus customer if it weren't for DC.  Hopefully, GPSoft will recognize the value of DC.

barfarf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2007, 09:47 PM »
I love DO version 9.   I have tried all the file manager out there.   AB Commander, FolderBox, PowerDesk, Total Commander, Universal Explorer, WinNc.Net and xplorer2.    DO has beaten them all in my humble opinion.  The only negative that I have is DO feels bloated when compared to xplorer2.     

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2007, 02:23 AM »
Here's a lil' personal experience I had with DO recently...

I wanted to be able to copy the path for a file to the clipboard with little fuss. I searched Google for a while, there were lots of little programs out there, some of which the authors actually wanted money for(!). I downloaded a few, but I never actually installed any when I realized DO would probably do exactly what I needed. I little Google searching later I found this tutorial Nudel made...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2007, 02:42 AM »
here's a "Button" for DO8 -

Left click: Copies full path names of selected file(s)
Right click: Copies names of selected file(s)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<button display="label" effect="saturate" min_width="yes" type="three_button">
<guid>{2B47C5A8-F9FE-4E2B-A7A0-C777A25AB839}</guid>
<label>path</label>
<icon1>10</icon1>
<button display="label" effect="gray" label_pos="bottom" separate="yes">
<guid>{F5EA265F-4D8B-41FB-9C85-9E819C68122C}</guid>
<tip>Copies the full pathnames of all selected files</tip>
<icon1>84</icon1>
<function type="normal">
<instruction>Clipboard COPYNAMES</instruction>
</function>
</button>
<button display="label" effect="gray" label_pos="bottom">
<guid>{7FD5D71A-AFD9-486C-85B9-BA1D56D6AC4E}</guid>
<tip>Copies the names of all selected files to the clipboard</tip>
<icon1>84</icon1>
<function type="normal">
<instruction>Clipboard COPYNAMES=nopaths </instruction>
</function>
</button>
</button>

You may want to tweak it a bit for icon etc.

In case:- to add to toolbar -
right click toolbar > customise
right click toolbar again > paste
right click button to edit

Dont know where I picked that up - definitely from or with help of the DO forums  :)
http://resource.dopus.com
Tom

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2007, 02:55 AM »
The only negative that I have is DO feels bloated when compared to xplorer2.
In what way?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2007, 05:48 AM »
So, it looks like there will be no upgrade discount for DC members, right?

An alternative is to hold off for a while with v 8 and then move to 9 whenever there's a discount available.

In fact, d 9 has crashed more than 8 for me.
I have 20 days left on my trial license. Will keep it till the end, and then make a decision.

I don't think 9 is any faster than 8 btw.
And 9 hosed the tags of some music files (Warning: if you use foobar, Dopus will show tags all wrong, and you may even save them -they look like ????????). No fix seems to be coming out, since DO blames foobar and viceversa.

RE: support: well, the last question I asked (support ticket) was never answered (it's been days). It was about this foobar issue, and also how to "revert" to 8.

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2007, 07:39 AM »
So, it looks like there will be no upgrade discount for DC members, right?
Looks that way, AFAIK.

An alternative is to hold off for a while with v 8 and then move to 9 whenever there's a discount available.
Has there been any indication that there will be an upgrade discount (beyond the existing one) in the future? There were some christmas sales for 6 and 8 I think but I can't remember if they included updates or not. May have done but I'm unsure.

In fact, d 9 has crashed more than 8 for me.
Have you reported the crashes or worked out why?

I don't think 9 is any faster than 8 btw.
Some parts of it are faster, like list drawing/scrolling and duplicate file finding. Overall most of the program isn't that much faster but 8 was never really slow IMO anyway. Most of the time you're waiting for the OS to read files off the disk as in any other file manager.

And 9 hosed the tags of some music files (Warning: if you use foobar, Dopus will show tags all wrong, and you may even save them -they look like ????????).
Opus 9 hasn't hosed your tags or modified your files at all, has it? It just doesn't understand Foobar's tag format when Foobar is used in certain ways. (I use Foobar as well and haven't had any problems but I don't use the ReplayGain part of Foobar.) Jon mentioned that the MP3 plugin needed updating to cope with this but it hasn't been done yet as other things have taken a priority.

No fix seems to be coming out, since DO blames foobar and viceversa.
AFAIK nobody from GPSoft has blamed Foobar; that was someone on the forums blaming Foobar. The issue is that Foobar, when you do certain things with it, writes Unicode tags in a way which the Opus MP3 plugin doesn't currently understand.

RE: support: well, the last question I asked (support ticket) was never answered (it's been days). It was about this foobar issue, and also how to "revert" to 8.
Don't know if you've noticed but the forums have been ridiculously busy since Opus 9 came out and I imagine the official support channel has as well. If you let me know what the issue was about I will chase it up for you but it's probably just because everyone is very busy dealing with all the feedback/help/reports right now.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2007, 08:49 AM »
The only negative that I have is DO feels bloated when compared to xplorer2.     
I own DirOpus 8 but I'll be going back to xplorer2 next week when I load Vista. $42 to upgrade is just too steep for me.