topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Directory Opus 9  (Read 185629 times)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 9
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2007, 05:30 PM »
Now, if I can just figure out a way to maintain my backup system, I wll be set.  I need to find a way to select a directory and have DO zip or RAR the directory, defaulting to the name of the directory and appending the date.  So, if I am in c:\temp and I want to back up the temp directory, I would like to select it, press a hotkey (or use a context menu) and create an archive named "temp 20070427.zip".  Near as I can tell, it is quite possible, but I am not sure how to do it yet.

Ok, so this is an ugly hack... but here goes...

Create a batch file somewhere on your computer:
rename %1 %2

Then create a button:
Copy ZIP=single HERE
d:\applications\rename.bat {file}.zip {file}_{date|yyyyMMdd}.zip

Change D:\applications\rename.bat to point to wherever the batch file is located.

Carl
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 07:17 PM by cthorpe »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2007, 07:59 PM »
So, does anyone know if we get a special discount here at DC for the upgrade, or if we can use the current discount code?

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2007, 10:28 PM »
AFAICT the current DC code will only give a 25% discount ie approx $AU21.  If you already have a DO licence you can go to the DO website and claim the upgrade discount which is $AU30 for a single user.

BTW the $AU is starting to come back against the $US in the last day or so.

Jeff

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2007, 10:55 PM »
AFAICT the current DC code will only give a 25% discount ie approx $AU21.  If you already have a DO licence you can go to the DO website and claim the upgrade discount which is $AU30 for a single user.

BTW the $AU is starting to come back against the $US in the last day or so.

Jeff
Aw, crap.  I was kind of hoping there would be a DC discount in addition to the regular price of the upgrade (which i wouldn't really call a discount).  Freakin A, $40 for an upgrade, now I know what everyone here was complaining about--it is a bit much.

Mouser, is there any way we can convince DO to let us use the 25% discount for the upgrade and maybe reduce the price to about $30? 

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2007, 11:00 PM »
Yes.  I was fortunate to buy DO8 for $AU47.30.  The upgrade will cost me $AU55 atm.  Given that I don't use it intensly I will probably wait for an opportunity to buy the upgrade cheaper.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2007, 03:46 AM »
I definitely don't know, but I don't think there will be a way to combine a DC discount code with the upgrade. I don't think so because when you put in your old registration code it generates a discount code which is grayed out. Even if we could put in a different coupon code it would require removing the upgrade discount code... I don't know how hard it would be to put in another code box on the website though...

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2007, 03:57 AM »
I can confirm that one can't put both the upgrade discount code and the DC discount code in the box at the same time or one after another.

Jeff

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2007, 01:22 PM »
Well, maybe DO may be able to offer a special DC discount for upgrades if we ask them nicely?

I don't consider the upgrade discount a "discount" really.  I'd just consider it the regular upgrade fee.  Hopefully, we can get an additional special for being members of this fabulous community.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2007, 01:15 AM »
I use ADS intensively to keep info of hundreds of movie clips (in mpg format). I try 3 programs, total commander 6.53, xPlorer2 V1.653 and DOpus V9 all offer the ability to add addtional columns: "Title", "Subject", "Author", "Category".

1) DOpus does not has the "Category" field.
2) TC and Xplorer2 display all the above 4 fields correctly but DOpus DOES NOT! (Those fields if added in DOpus as columns, they will simply be blank columns, nothing shown at all)
3) When copy/move a file with ADS info, xPlorer2 is able to copy the ADS stream along, for TC the ADS info is dropped... I have not tried this copy/move test with DOpus before I uninstall it, I am quite disapointed in DOpus, if it can't extract the ADS info, why put those fields there...??? Am I missing something?

Note:
I am using WinXP+Sp2, my ADS data has characters from multiple languages: English, Chinese simplified, Chinese Traditional and occasionally Japanese.

How good if I can have the flexibility + user friendly GUI + superior in handling ZIP/RAR of TC and the Decent power of xPlorer2 (especialluy in unicode and ADS handling) in a single program... sigh!

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2007, 02:01 AM »
I use ADS intensively to keep info of hundreds of movie clips (in mpg format). I try 3 programs, total commander 6.53, xPlorer2 V1.653 and DOpus V9 all offer the ability to add addtional columns: "Title", "Subject", "Author", "Category".

1) DOpus does not has the "Category" field.
2) TC and Xplorer2 display all the above 4 fields correctly but DOpus DOES NOT! (Those fields if added in DOpus as columns, they will simply be blank columns, nothing shown at all)
3) When copy/move a file with ADS info, xPlorer2 is able to copy the ADS stream along, for TC the ADS info is dropped... I have not tried this copy/move test with DOpus before I uninstall it, I am quite disapointed in DOpus, if it can't extract the ADS info, why put those fields there...??? Am I missing something?

I use DOPUS 9 to move ADS information on files (not movies) basically so I cannot comment on the category field). I can confirm that DOPUS 9 or for that matter DOPUS 8 does move ADS properly when a file is moved.

In fact the way DOPUS is designed with customisability in mind, allows you to even copy information from a website and paste it into the ADS with a hot key.

I suggest that you post your concern in the very responsive http://resource.dopus.com/

I'm pretty sure you will get your question answered by one of the very helpful experts there.

I have on many occasions posted questions and gotten answers within hours of posting them or at worst, a couple of days.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2007, 04:13 AM »
xPlorer2 V1.653 and DOpus V9 all offer the ability to add addtional columns: "Title", "Subject", "Author", "Category"
if added in DOpus as columns, they will simply be blank columns, nothing shown at all
if it can't extract the ADS info, why put those fields there...???
Sounds more like a bug or oversight than an intentionally missing feature.

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2007, 04:36 AM »
The "Title", "Subject", "Author", "Category" columns in Opus show the attributes from within Office documents.

They don't currently read the ADS attributes but if you send GPSoft a feature request I imagine they'll look at it as it makes sense to support them.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2007, 01:12 PM »
I was quite excited when I found xPlorer2 (at least there exist such utility that) can displays those ADS values correctly in columns as well as move/copy these values along with the host file.

The author of xPlorer2 has put up a poll for user requested features, among which "search in ADS info" is one of them. I suppose only few of those features with highest #votes will be implemented in xPlorer2 Ver 1.7

My very BAD NEWS is, "Searching in ADS" feature get ZERO vote as of this writing... :(

And for TC, I read their forum and learn that TC 6.5x is not unicode ready and the author says it won't be so until (probably) Ver7.5
The funny thing is TC can "display" and "search" ADS info in multiple languages but it simply can't copy/move those values along with the host file...
I mean if it is not unicode ready, how come it can display file and folder names in multiple (more than 3 diff) languages at the sametime?
If TC can search in ADS info why can't it move/copy it with the host file....????

Btw, Nudel, thanks for your info.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2007, 01:43 PM »
What is this ADS stuff I've heard so much about? Is it like ID3 tags for MP3s? But it's somehow not moved with the file?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2007, 02:01 PM »
Heh, heh, I was wondering the same thing Hirudin!

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2007, 02:14 PM »
ADS is an NTFS file system feature.
ADS means "Alternate Data Stream" or like that.
This ADS are stored hidden on the disc.
The are accessible with "filename.ext:stream" , i saw a nice
demo
Video: Tour of the Sysinternals Tools
Download: http://www.microsoft...ternals/default.mspx  ===>  http://www.solsem.com/videolibrary.html

The tool in question is an command line tool 'streams.exe' ==> http://www.microsoft...AndDisk/Streams.mspx

of an sysinternals dvd about this issue.
The OS use this ADS e.g. to store the info from where a file is downloaded (internet, trusted zone,...)
I guess there must be an wiki entry about this... please wait an moment while i am on the search....  ahh yes ...>here< for example.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 02:27 PM by AbteriX »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2007, 02:56 PM »
Cool, thanks very much AbteriX!

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2007, 05:06 AM »
I would like to select it, press a hotkey (or use a context menu) and create an archive named "temp 20070427.zip".
An update (Opus 9.0.0.1) just came out which addresses this:

- The Copy ZIP and ADDTOZIP commands can now accept the CREATEFOLDER argument to specify the name of the destination Zip file

So you can use this to zip the selected folder into "temp <todaysdate>.zip" in the current folder:

Copy ZIP HERE CREATEFOLDER="temp {date|yyyyMMdd}"

Replace HERE with TO="C:\blah\blah" if you always want the result in a specific place, or leave that part out entirely for the result to end up in the destination pane/window.

Full list of changes here: http://resource.dopu...iewtopic.php?p=22588

Edit: I've posted an improved version of this button that automatically uses the selected file/folder's name instead of always using "temp". You can find it here: http://resource.dopu...iewtopic.php?p=22621
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:29 AM by Nudel »

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2007, 06:39 AM »
I use ADS intensively to keep info of hundreds of movie clips (in mpg format).

Does anyone reading know how to set the ADS fields in Vista? I'm sure that in XP you could do it via the Properties dialog but on Vista the data seems to be read-only. Are Microsoft discouraging the use of the ADS fields themselves, or has the functionality been moved elsewhere?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2007, 07:11 AM »
An update (Opus 9.0.0.1) just came out.

Strange - 'Check for updates' doesn't find this - do you have to manually download and install this update?

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2007, 08:54 AM »
An update (Opus 9.0.0.1) just came out.

Strange - 'Check for updates' doesn't find this - do you have to manually download and install this update?
-Carol Haynes (May 07, 2007, 07:11 AM)
It's probably a manual download for now.

GPSoft usually put stuff on the automatic updater a little while after the release. I don't know if that's to spread out the server load or if it's to give a few early adopters a chance to spot problems before suggesting the update to everyone. (People who aren't enthusiastically checking the forums every day would probably be irritated if they kept being prompted to install minor updates that fix things they didn't care about. Lagging the automatic updates helps strike the balance between not making people install updates every day and being responsive to problems/requests that people bring up.)

Firefox updates seem to work the same way, FWIW. The auto-update usually lags behind the website by a few days in my experience.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2007, 09:03 AM »
I would like to select it, press a hotkey (or use a context menu) and create an archive named "temp 20070427.zip".
An update (Opus 9.0.0.1) just came out which addresses this:

- The Copy ZIP and ADDTOZIP commands can now accept the CREATEFOLDER argument to specify the name of the destination Zip file

So you can use this to zip the selected folder into "temp <todaysdate>.zip" in the current folder:

Copy ZIP HERE CREATEFOLDER="temp {date|yyyyMMdd}"

Huzzah!  I fought with Opus for hours when I first got version 8 to try to do this.  Thanks for the heads up!

Carl

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Could this whole ADS not being copied business have anything to do with the following option in Opus?

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2007, 04:21 PM »
Could this whole ADS not being copied business have anything to do with the following option in Opus?
If you turn that on then Opus should copy them. It still won't (currently) display them in the corresponding columns (since they're for Office files only in Opus, unless ADS support was added and I forgot) but it won't lose them either.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2007, 05:11 PM »
I have to say DOpus 9 is the best version ever, easily. The preferences have been cleaned up TREMENDOUSLY. For someone who spent quite a while in the preferences in v8 trying to figure shit out and just never knowing if I had everything set the way I liked it.. v9 is just beautiful. New icons everywhere, a far better structure with a tree on the left that auto-collapses as you move to a different section in the prefs (just like in UltraEdit) and overall better and clearer language. Also.. has anyone tried the filter search in the preferences? That's gotta be the best implementation of preferences filter search I've ever seen. It finds all instances of the word for you and even highlights it everywhere it appears with this read, semi-transparent box with round corners. It just kicks ass.
I had my doubts about DOpus this time around.. I loved v8 but just hated dealing with the million tons of clutter in the preferences that I found made it very hard to make the right choices in setting the Opus up the way you like. Now all that crap is gone and everything is cleaned up and beautiful. I'm very, very impressed. I have not even checked out all the sweet new features, hell I don't even know what's new anymore.. I'm just happy DOpus is kicking so much ass again. Seriously. I'm a licensed XPlorer2 customer too, but I always found XPlorer2 lacking somehow. I could never quite point my finger at what it was.. but I had this feeling. One thing that I never liked is how in the preferences, they'd say "you can tweak more stuff in this settings file". How user-friendly is that? I know only the most advanced of users would probably even consider looking in that config file.. but come on. If you're going to give me options, give them to me in an accessible way.

DOpus does this too, except in a much friendlier way. You can access a longish list of all sorts of additional settings, but that list is integrated into the preferences directly. You can view and edit it right there, which is just the way it should be.

So.. can anyone point out what you find to be the most notable changes from v8? I just installed it late last night and have had no chance to really check it all out.