topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Process Tamer Update Coming -- Express your feature requests here!  (Read 92974 times)

crisoco4m

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer Update Coming -- Express your feature requests here!
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2009, 03:35 PM »
I understand what you are saying but the process I refer to has an explicit rule set to high yet the priority is set to normal in Task Manager.
The processes screen does not show this process all the time because it is a synchronisation program that synchronises the Windows time and runs at set intervals.
However, this program is running all the time as a process in the system tray and in the Task Manger just like Process Tamer. It should therefore show the explicit rule when running and not just when it connects to a server at the programmed interval.

qwibbles

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2009, 03:39 PM »
I would also like to see taming based on Harddisk activity ... (My AV/Spyware programs uses alot of Disk Time but not processor time).

Not sure what you would do for the memory usage issue (Freeze the process?) .... Firefox and Chrome won't like it :D

Profiles would also be a great idea. (i.e. Presentation Mode - Nerf the AV/AntiSpy/Windows Update and all the other good stuff that tries to grind the PC to a halt).

mithrandur

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2009, 08:42 PM »
I'd been looking for something like Process Tamer for a long time and I have to say I really like it!  :D

I've noticed that occasionally, for some reason I cannot figure out, PT doesn't apply the explicit rule to an identified process. So, the one new feature that I would love is for Process Tamer to wake up every now and then according to a schedule I can set in options or via the command line, rescan all existing processes and adjust them according to their explicit rules. I'm hopeful by having PT wake up from time to time and rescan, that it will catch these unaltered processes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2009, 11:21 PM »
strange -- can you identify any clues to when it doesn't apply an explicit rule? if you exit PT and restart it (or actually just go into options and then out of them it should have the same effect), does it *then* apply it?

megar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I would definitely like to see Process Tamer managing processor affinity.

Many games I use (including recent ones) don't work on my system. I have to manually using process manager, right click and setting the processor affinity to only one cpu.
Process manager would be a great place to manage those apps. Like having a rule for the prority, it would have a rule for processor affinity.

Thank you !

Tex1954

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2012, 05:38 PM »

On top of the basic affinity requests, I would ask a special... I run BOINC tasks on all my machines and use process tamer to max out the GPU calculations... however, I discovered that if I set the affinity to a single core, I get much better performance!!!!

So I would need to automatically set affinity of each task to either Core 4 or Core 5 (for instance) since I have two GPU's in each system and at least 6 core processors running them all. (My fav is AMD 1100T's).

If one could set affinity according to which GPU is being used (one system will have 4 GPU's) then that would be nice!!!!

:Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2012, 12:52 AM »
Process Tamer just hasn't gotten the attention from me that it deserves yet.  It's one of the few programs of mine that has deserved a major update and hasn't received one yet.

Until I do update Process Tamer, you might in the meantime you might check out the freeware/shareware product Process Lasso.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:21 PM by mouser »

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Thanks Mouser, and thanks for the link. Process Lasso is pseudo-FREEWARE, to be precise. ALL the major features are free, it NEVER expires, etc.. I call it shareware because it isn't 100% freeware, and the freeware purists prefer it that way (labelled shareware instead of freeware). http://bitsum.com/howfree.php describes how free it is and is not. So, label is Shareware perhaps, as I do, but not commercial.

UPDATE: As a token of good will, I'm giving away a few licenses of Process Lasso Pro. This key: [EXHAUSTED] will get you going. If it doesn't, then sad to say it's been used up. I set the limit high enough to where many of you should be able to take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:43 PM by db90h »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21 PM »
I stand corrected -- post modified  :Thmbsup:

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Thanks again. Good luck on Process Tamer, I'm sure you can get it up to speed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:46 AM by db90h »