topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Source Insight IDE: it seems to be different, and better!  (Read 13778 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.sourceins...ht.com/features.html

It looks terribly good to browse large projects! Anyone has any experience with it?

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Source Insight IDE: it seems to be different, and better!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:08 PM »
What a coincidence, I just started using it today for a huge C# codebase. I'm still learning how to use it but at first glance it seems to be a bit 'wierd' - the funky color scheme, not understanding Visual Studios .sln format and having to add files manually, and not knowing what click does what.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 05:57 AM »
Please report on your experience as you play with it more :)

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:40 PM »
Ok, I am frustated with this thing  >:( The main reason I'm evaluating is to let me see function call graphs (calls, called by). SI has a 'Relations window' which does this, but it has a mind of its own and doesn't always do what you want. I select a function and the relations window is supposed to track it and update, but sometimes it'll just stay stuck and flash a stupid 'working' when in fact its doing anything but !!

And the help file is not very helpful. Lookup a command and it tells you what the command does, but not where to find it and how to run it.

I did manage to find some useful info when it did work as expected. Maybe I need to learn how to use it a bit more, but I don't see myself using it consistently.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:20 PM »
MrCrispy: if you're usually using Visual Studio, check out it's "browse database" stuff (dunno if it's available for C#, but I should thing so) - pretty powerful stuff.
- carpe noctem

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:14 AM »
No browse database for C# or any .NET languages :( For C++ you get a nice call browser, .NET languages get a class designer and 'Find all references' as well as a common object browser which will look up symbols, but nothing more powerful.

I wish they'd taken more time and finished that feature in for C#, because C# and .NET are an order of magnitude easier to parse and have much richer metadata compared to C++.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 07:31 AM »
Hm, bother!

The browse database is a really useful feature once you learn it, I'm quite surprised they haven't included it for dotNET :-s
- carpe noctem

exold

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste.
    • View Profile
    • Exold
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 03:32 AM »
Source Insight is a fantastic editor...for C++. I've found it largely unusable for C# code, unfortunately; the refactoring capabilities of Resharper makes using Visual Studio a worthwhile experience, though. I've been hoping for a long time that the day would soon come when a new release of Source Insight would arrive, with built-in refactoring support (and preferably a usable C# implementation). So far, that hope has been in vain :(. It's still unbeatable as a C++ editor, though, especially if you have a large and/or tangled codebase. I have a couple of blog posts on Source Insight-related stuff:

http://exold.com/art.../source-insight-news
http://exold.com/art...e-for-source-insight
---
David A. P.
Ars Arboris -- Art of the Tree.