ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Drupal is f*cked

<< < (3/16) > >>

mouser:
i still hold out some hope of using drupal for more powerful custom cms stuff - the use of generic nodes offers some very intriguing possibilities.  but i have a low threshold for frustration and drupal is just beyond frustrating when it comes to even the simplest of things..  my advice: stay far, far, far away from drupal if you are human and want a pleasant experience setting up a standard kind of site, and don't want to invest large amounts of time learning something very alien.  if you have special needs, that's a different matter, and drupal may still be a good choice.

mouser:
Joomla has the advantage of a very large userbase, but i never particularly liked the feel of it.  We've had some cms discussions before, and it may be time to have another, so everyone chime in and hopefully we can find someone who has some real experience with these things who can offer an informed opinion (i can only offer infuriated opinions).

TucknDar:
e107 is a lightweight CMS, with tons of plugins. The forum plugin may not be the most featureful, but this is still an excellent CMS.

www.e107.org

2stepsback:
hi,
people good at programming but new to web development or PHP (or both) are STRONGLY ADVISED to use wordpress as a learning tool because of the following:

* exceptionally large user base
* 24x7x365 active IRC channel - personally verified
* super easy code
* generally decent documentation with excellent newbie-oriented language - that kind of Layman-Compatible(TM) language is not seen anywhere else on the www
* comprehensive list of plugins and themes
* FREE in both waysAfter you've started understanding it ( about a week for a decent coder, a month for a total n00b), you realize that using parallel projects like Wordpress MU (MultiUser) and a fork called Lyceum, you can make a multi-user *portal* in no time. Plus all the plugins = full CMS

HTH,
2stepsback

tinjaw:
I can't comment on drupal, because I haven't used it yet. (I know shame shame shame on me  :'( )

However, if you want a really really simple way to set up a site that is centered around a forum, you can install SMF and the TinyPortal mod.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version