topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Drupal is f*cked  (Read 60958 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Drupal is f*cked
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Yeah, I know. I'm just suggesting that possibly, to do what a good general purpose CMS does, might remove some of the inherent simplicity and ease of use that Wordpress users love. It may be somewhat the nature of more general purpose CMS systems. After all there are 100s, surely one of them would have "gotten it right" and done what you're suggesting, right? Surely Automattic aren't the only ones with a good UI design sense.

- Oshyan
The other benefit of Wordpress is that it is very widely used.  So a lot of solutions to issues are already resolved.  The problem with the other CMS platforms that are relatively well done in my opinion is that they are used by so few people that you will quickly run into an issue that you can't solve without a lot of work.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Which makes one wonder why, if they're so well done, they're not more widely used? Chicken and egg problem?

- Oshyan

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Which makes one wonder why, if they're so well done, they're not more widely used? Chicken and egg problem?

- Oshyan
That's the thing, they are not well done enough to make people jump ship.  They always lack a critical feature here or there, and in the end, I think, "Forget it, I'll just stick to Wordpress."  There's a comfort with WP because so many people use it, you just type in a couple of keywords for any issue in google and the problem is solved.

All I'm saying is that I feel the market is wide open for a CMS platform that will do what WP was able to do.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 01:30 PM »
And all I'm saying is I'm not sure the market will support such success at this point. It is frankly sheer luck that WP is successful *and* as good as it is. Don't kid yourself and imagine that the success has so much to do with how "good" it is. Joomla, Drupal, both are extremely successful and popular. Are they "good"? Sure. Better than every other CMS? Highly arguable. I agree that it would be nice if a clear leader emerged in the CMS market as it has in the blog market, and even more if it was a relatively well designed system like WP. I just don't see it happening soon given the current landscape.

- Oshyan