ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Drupal is f*cked

<< < (7/16) > >>

Carol Haynes:
True - I have only been put of Drupal because it is so unapproachable - if they get that right in version 7 they will have a real winner.

PPLandry:
I love Drupal. It is so nice, so easy to modify and the list of modules is extensive.   :-* :-*

Those that have conceptual issues / questions, do not hesitate to ask. I'll gladly try to answer

(and I didn't even touch the Content Construction Kit (CCK) and Views yet, which are real gem!)

40hz:
I've been experimenting with Drupal over the last six months, and nice as it is, it does present several conceptual hurdles to a new user/developer. That being said, IMHO it's probably the most powerful of all the CMSs out there. Whether that power always translates into practicality or usefulness is up for debate.

The thing I find most annoying about working with it is the Drupal organization itself. There is a definite "circle the wagons" mentality to be found  in many places within the community. And there also seems to be a tendency to confuse a critique with a complaint. Many times I have seen obviously constructive criticism met with comments like "it's only you that is complaining about that."

I've been reading some of the community backscatter on the usability testing and I'm still seeing the same old thing.

But hope springs eternal.

Fingers crossed... ;)

mouser:
I have also noticed that on the drupal forums a huge number of posts asking for help or clarification go ignored.. I'm not sure what that tells you but it's not a great sign.

What is true however, and is very impressive, is that the Drupal developers have gone to extraordinary lengths to make a system that is extensible without having to modify the core code.. Drupal uses an elaborate system of callbacks that makes it possible to modify nearly any aspect of the system using a "plugin" module.

You come to appreciate such things after working on a system like the forum software we use here (simple machines forum) where modifications and extensions are done by actually changing the core codebase -- the problem being that when the system software is updated the chance of something breaking or requiring intricate fixing is very high.

mouser:
ps. For programmers wishing to extend Drupal I can *highly* recommend the book "Pro Drupal Development" (by John K. VanDyk).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version