ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ARS reviews Linux Gnome 3.0

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
Hoping Tuxman or 40hz has some play time with one of their distros this month to try it out.
-zridling (April 12, 2011, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Got it on the schedule. Although at the rate I'm going it will probably be around mid-May before I can really sit down and give it some serious attention. In the meantime, I'm hoping some of the limitations the ArsTechnica article mentioned are only temporary issues that will get resolved by the time I load it up. Gnome lets you do little enough to customize it already.

GNOME 3, codename "Pointless waste of space". What's up with the humongous widgets and the insane amount of wasted space in the different windows?
-Lashiec (April 12, 2011, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more. That excess padding has got to get fixed.

The article makes it sound as though GNOME 3.0 is super stable and ready to go, so it makes me wonder if Ubuntu will be using it in their eminent Ubuntu 11.4 release..
-Deozaan (April 13, 2011, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

It will likely be in their repositories. But last I heard, Shuttleworth & Co, are totally committed to using Unity as the default desktop starting with release 11.4, aka Natty Numnutz Narwhal.

Most people outside Canonical seem to think this is a 'very bad' idea.

(Note: IMO they also need to lose those release names. Totally bogus. It stopped being clever 11 names back with Dapper Drake.)

8)

Edvard:
Been using Xfce since 3.something.
Never looked back, and I keep finding good reasons why...

Deozaan:
The article makes it sound as though GNOME 3.0 is super stable and ready to go, so it makes me wonder if Ubuntu will be using it in their eminent Ubuntu 11.4 release..
--- End quote ---

It will likely be in their repositories. But last I heard, Shuttleworth & Co, are totally committed to using Unity as the default desktop starting with release 11.4, aka Natty Numnutz Narwhal.

Most people outside Canonical seem to think this is a 'very bad' idea.-40hz (April 13, 2011, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unity looks very much like GNOME 3.0 to me. At least from screenshots and videos alone, they seem very similar to me.

40hz:
Been using Xfce since 3.something.
Never looked back, and I keep finding good reasons why...
-Edvard (April 14, 2011, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1! I prefer a lighter desktop myself. But that was thanks to #! (CrunchBang :-*) and their choice of Openbox for their default desktop. The fact that much of my personal tech is also showing signs of age could also have a lot to do with it. ;D

#! has an XFCE version as well. But after using both for a while, I find myself with a 'slight but definite' preference for Openbox. Which seems to suggest it's not so much which desktop manager gets used as it does how well it's been implemented and tweaked for a specific distro.

Not to say you couldn't do all of that yourself from scratch. (This is Linux after all!) But that's a huge amount of work, so it's a much better strategy to find something that meets your needs 90% of the way and customize from there.

-----------------
--- End quote ---

Most people outside Canonical seem to think this is a 'very bad' idea.-40hz (April 13, 2011, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unity looks very much like GNOME 3.0 to me. At least from screenshots and videos alone, they seem very similar to me.
-Deozaan (April 14, 2011, 04:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hope not! I tried Unity and didn't like it at all. I really thought they crossed the line between "simplified" and "dumbed-down" in its current version.

If I want to ride a training-wheel equipped bicycle while handcuffed and wearing a straitjacket I can always buy something from Apple. At least that way I'll get bragging rights with the Cappuccino Computing Cabal that hogs the tables over at my local Barnes & Noble.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version