ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anybody Have A Reason Why I Should NOT Purchase RegExBuddy This Week?

<< < (3/4) > >>

allen:
Regex is something I'm passionate about--actually, my love for it is what drove me to learn php.  Wanted to do more, dynamically, with regex.  I also am a huge fan of JGSoft, owning licenses to all of Jan's apps save for the help compiler.

I've played with regex coach a bit as well as (obviously) regexbuddy -- both of which are good tools for learning/debugging regex.  Regexbuddy has some great features the coach didn't though, at least when I tried it -- the ability to save/reuse expressions, basic grep functionality, syntax hilighting.  It's also cool how it can communicate/exchange data with other JGSoft apps if you have them.  Launch it from editpad or powergrep to create/modify an expression then send it back to the parent app.

That said, I have to admit to having not used regexbuddy all that much, personally -- Mostly I used it as a sandbox for saving often-used expressions prior to EditPad Pro being able to do that itself -- and then later getting powergrep.

It's a great regex tool, don't get me wrong.  I just find EditPad pro sufficient to make it obsolete -- find/replace dialog itself has syntax highlighting and the ability to highlight matches in real time -- so I can create and test expressions comfortably without having to launch an additional application.

Rambling aside--regex is great. JGSoft is great.  You can't go wrong with either one, and together... yeah, still great. :)

gjehle:
well, it looks like a decent piece of software.
yet i think i wouldn't buy it (i've had enough chomsky in my CS studies to do that stuff blindfolded)
and besides that, KDE already comes with a regex editor (which kinda sucks (or maybe it was just my inability to use it)

;)

Dirhael:
I bought it (RegExBuddy) a few years ago, and today I don't really know what I'd do without it. I've tried several of the alternatives, but none of them came close to matching its features. The best one by far (though the GREP functions is a close second) is found on the "use" tab, where you can get your expression "converted" to a whole bunch of languages. This is great, as not everything uses a Perl-compatible syntax (which I am most comfortable with). Well worth the price in my opinion :Thmbsup:

The only minor issue (and it really is minor) I have with it and all other JGSoft products is the interface. It gets the job done, but I don't like how they insist on using custom styling on tabs etc., instead of using the standard Windows widgets.

springro:
Late add, but this is also a potential option: 

The Regulator is an advanced Regular expressions testing tool, featuring syntax highlighting and web-service integration with Regexlib.com's database of online regular expressions. See more info at http://regulator.sourceforge.net
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
The only minor issue (and it really is minor) I have with it and all other JGSoft products is the interface. It gets the job done, but I don't like how they insist on using custom styling on tabs etc., instead of using the standard Windows widgets.
--- End quote ---

Funny how different people react to things: I LOVE the interface in the three products that I use from jgsoft (RegEx Buddy, PowerGrep, and EditPad Pro). To each his or her own...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version