ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anybody Have A Reason Why I Should NOT Purchase RegExBuddy This Week?

(1/4) > >>

tinjaw:
I have been poking around for weeks, on and off, looking for a good RegEx tool. There are some good free ones, but most of them work only with one or two languages (in this order) C(++), .NET, Perl, or Java. I, as many know, prefer Python. But I must be able to learn them for all languages, or have a way to easily translate between them. Well, this page on the RegExBuddy website has pretty much convinced me to go with RegExBuddy.

On top of that, the fact that the developer runs Regular-Expressions.info just makes me want to support him and his product even more.

What I would like to know are two things:
1) Has anybody had any bad experiences with RegExBuddy or JGsoft?
2) Is there a tool that does more than RegExBuilder that I may have missed? Maybe because it is new and hasn't gotten as much exposure.

thanx,
tinjaw

Carol Haynes:
I don't know the answer to the specific questions with RegExBuddy (I do have a copy but have never used it enough to really comment) but JGSoft is a great site. There are regular updates, mostly free (I use AceText and EditPad Pro) - and they have a money back guarantee.

Darwin:
Caution: This post does not actually meet the criteria in tinjaw's post - no reasons NOT to purchase RegExBuddy here and no alternatives suggested...

I have both RegExBuddy and PowerGrep and love them  :-* (still a total noob with regex, though...). I arrived at these two products via a circuitous route - I identified them early as being strong candidates to fill particular needs that I had (have) and then spent a LONG time (at least 18 months) trying to find free/cheaper alternatives. In the end, I just came back to them. I don't know of any products that are as fully featured and as easy to use. Others here, particularly Allen and Carol (though I know there are others), sing the praises of other jgsoft offerings (EditPad and AceText, for a start). I don't think you can go wrong. I purchased in late June/early July 2006 and am curious to find out what the upgrade policy is (I *think* it's a 50% discount, which probably places PowerGrep out of my reach for the time being). Anyway, support is excellent and all correspondence has been prompt, cheerful, and supportive (sorry, couldn't resist).

I don't think you can go wrong.

NOTE: Dang! Carol beat to it and raises a good point - that money back guarantee is honoured without question and without any drama. I initially purchased, got cold feet (and chills) over the price, and received a refund within about 2 hours (Thailand to Canada - impressive!), and then thought sod it, I'll buy them afterall, and did... No regrets.

dme:

You are right: as far as I know, there is no other tool, which can produce regular expressions for different languages. (Until now I thought such a feature would be useless.)

Especially for Perl-compatible expressions there is a great tool at:

http://weitz.de/regex-coach

The Regex Coach is a graphical application for Windows which can be used to experiment with (Perl-compatible) regular expressions interactively. It has the following features:
It shows whether a regular expression matches a particular target string.
It can also show which parts of the target string correspond to captured register groups or to arbitrary parts of the regular expression.
It can "walk" through the target string one match at a time.
It can simulate Perl's split and s/// (substitution) operators.
It tries to describe the regular expression in plain English.
It can show a graphical representation of the regular expression's parse tree.
It can single-step through the matching process as performed by the regex engine.
Everything happens in "real time", i.e. as soon as you make a change somewhere in the application all other parts are instantly updated.

You also may have a look at my TextTransformer at:

http://www.texttransformer.com

There is a free regex test dialog for POSIX regular expressions integrated, which shows all sub-expressions and what was matched by them. In contrast to a Perl regex a POSIX regex always matches the longest possible string. Using this criterion, TextTransformer produces complete parsers and translators. E.g. you could make a parser for regular expressions of one language and translate it into expressions of another language.
If you or anybody else would make such a thing, and let me publish it on

http://www.texttransformer.org

I would spend him a free standard version of TextTransformer. But caution: this is not so easy.

Regards

Detlef

mitzevo:
I brought AceText a few months back.. I'm quite happy with it.. doesn't say much about RegExBuddy.. but I do like JGSoft and their biz model about things... A solid software developer, so I don't think you could go wrong with at least testing it with the MBG..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version