ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Quizo QTTabbar

<< < (2/24) > >>

Nod5:
Interesting! A quick questions (since I don't have time to try it out myself ATM): Does it slow down Explorer in any noticeable way?

Nighted:
No, it doesn't slow explorer down at all. Trust me, I would notice. :)

Curt:

- wow, Nighted; this is really good looking!  :Thmbsup:

Nod5:
Ok, I found some time after all.  :)

Since I don't need tabs in Explorer I tried the smaller QT ToolBar 2.1.0.9 from the same page instead. It is a "search toolbar for Explorer".

It seems excellent so far. Quick installation (it asked for a logoff/reboot though). No noticeable slowdown when running. It docks with the toolbars on top of explorer. It has three slots for other tools (the user can choose two of them). Some included tools are useful: open cmd here and put selected file(s) name or path or md5 in clipboard (or compare it to a md5 value already in clipboard). It's possible to add other custom tools by specifying command line arguments though I haven't tried that yet.

I find these differences (in most cases advantages) over the search built into Explorer:

- the toolbar stays on top. In comparison, the search in Exploreral always expands a sidebar. When using a small explorer window (which I often do), the bulky sidebar covers the whole width of the window so the search results are not visible.
- automatic sequencial searches (searches only within the results from the previous search) which is very useful. For example, if you search for "html" and get 100 matches, these files are automatically selected. If you search again, without deselecting, you then search only among those 100 files. If you want to start searching on all files again, submit the search through ctrl+enter instead of just enter (the same goes for ctrl+leftclick/leftclick on the search button). Very intuitive!
- only searches the current folder, not subfolder or other folders/drives.
- advanced searching capabilities (regexp, by various file attributes, by date, by file comment, file content and so on). Either through switches in the search box or through an andvanced search popup window. Also support for launching command line arguments and web searches from the searchbox.
- customizable hotkeys

What I miss:

- option to search subfolders too (would be especially useful given the advanced search features)
- the option "show only result files" does not work for me. That would be a useful option. 
- search as you type

Check out this translation of the application page for a detailed overview of the features.
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http://quizo.at.infoseek.co.jp/freeware/Manual.html

Curt, Nighted: are all the above search features included in QTTabbar too? Does it even have some extra search features (apart from search as you type)?

Curt:
Curt, Nighted: are all the above search features included in QTTabbar too? Does it even have some extra search features (apart from search as you type)?
-Nod5 (April 11, 2007, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was too hasty when I wrote that QT has SearchAsYouType, because I had already done one search, which I had forgotten at the moment, so when I did the second search the answers popped up right away - meaning that the SearchAsYouType really only includes the memory. My bad; sorry.

I think Toolbar2 comes right out of the TabBar search box - at the moment I can think of no extra or lacking search features. [Edit:] I do not think QT was ever meant to replace Windows Desktop Search.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version