topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Quizo QTTabbar  (Read 98517 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quizo QTTabbar
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:29 AM »
At the Japaneese infoseek.co.jp Edit: http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/ you can freely have a nice little something, named QT Tabbar. I've tried it for a couple of days and have become so excited about it that it has replaced the Explorer buttons. One of the best features may be the search box; it will search the folder at present, and will search as you type - making it a lot faster to use in subdirectories than the WDS 3.1 which I gave praise to only a few days ago. Other features are New window, Clone this, Close all but current, Close this, Recently closed, Close, Close left, Close right, Top most, Groups, Copy tool, Opacity, Lock, Applications, Up one level, Go forward / back, Reload and Tabbed browsing.

enlarged (click):
0qtBIG.pngQuizo QTTabbar

Left half:
0qtLEFT.png

Right half:
0qtRIGHT.png

Go visit the site and read the manual.

You might come to love this 'extended toolbar'.  :-*

Maybe app103 will tell something about it? I believe I found the link at one of her sites   :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:10 AM by Curt »

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
Re: Quizo QTTabbar
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:24 AM »
This is pretty damn cool. I'm surprised no one has commented yet.

The best part isn't necessarily the tabs, but all the little tweaks that come with it.   :Thmbsup:
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:22 AM »
This is pretty damn cool. I'm surprised no one has commented yet.

- me too.

Byt maybe its because of the look; it seems to be almost nothing, but -

The best part isn't necessarily the tabs, but all the little tweaks that come with it.  
 :Thmbsup:

When you are right you are right!  :up:

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:24 PM »
Well, if people would check it out they'd realize they can customize it, even change the buttons. It's fully skinnable. You don't have to have more than one line of tabs or an entire other toolbar.

I think it looks pretty decent myself, I hate cluttered toolbars.

I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 03:34 AM »
I guess there aren't any comments since most of us that would use this kind of extended functionality have already moved to an explorer replacement... after having used xplorer^2 for a while, old explorer.exe just seems so slow and clumsy :)
- carpe noctem

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:31 AM »
Interesting! A quick questions (since I don't have time to try it out myself ATM): Does it slow down Explorer in any noticeable way?

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:34 AM »
No, it doesn't slow explorer down at all. Trust me, I would notice. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:16 AM »
QTTabs.png

- wow, Nighted; this is really good looking!  :Thmbsup:

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:21 AM »
Ok, I found some time after all.  :)

Since I don't need tabs in Explorer I tried the smaller QT ToolBar 2.1.0.9 from the same page instead. It is a "search toolbar for Explorer".
toolbar[1].png
It seems excellent so far. Quick installation (it asked for a logoff/reboot though). No noticeable slowdown when running. It docks with the toolbars on top of explorer. It has three slots for other tools (the user can choose two of them). Some included tools are useful: open cmd here and put selected file(s) name or path or md5 in clipboard (or compare it to a md5 value already in clipboard). It's possible to add other custom tools by specifying command line arguments though I haven't tried that yet.

I find these differences (in most cases advantages) over the search built into Explorer:

- the toolbar stays on top. In comparison, the search in Exploreral always expands a sidebar. When using a small explorer window (which I often do), the bulky sidebar covers the whole width of the window so the search results are not visible.
- automatic sequencial searches (searches only within the results from the previous search) which is very useful. For example, if you search for "html" and get 100 matches, these files are automatically selected. If you search again, without deselecting, you then search only among those 100 files. If you want to start searching on all files again, submit the search through ctrl+enter instead of just enter (the same goes for ctrl+leftclick/leftclick on the search button). Very intuitive!
- only searches the current folder, not subfolder or other folders/drives.
- advanced searching capabilities (regexp, by various file attributes, by date, by file comment, file content and so on). Either through switches in the search box or through an andvanced search popup window. Also support for launching command line arguments and web searches from the searchbox.
- customizable hotkeys

What I miss:

- option to search subfolders too (would be especially useful given the advanced search features)
- the option "show only result files" does not work for me. That would be a useful option. 
- search as you type

Check out this translation of the application page for a detailed overview of the features.
http://babelfish.alt...freeware/Manual.html

Curt, Nighted: are all the above search features included in QTTabbar too? Does it even have some extra search features (apart from search as you type)?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:25 AM by Nod5 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:05 AM »
Curt, Nighted: are all the above search features included in QTTabbar too? Does it even have some extra search features (apart from search as you type)?

I was too hasty when I wrote that QT has SearchAsYouType, because I had already done one search, which I had forgotten at the moment, so when I did the second search the answers popped up right away - meaning that the SearchAsYouType really only includes the memory. My bad; sorry.

I think Toolbar2 comes right out of the TabBar search box - at the moment I can think of no extra or lacking search features. [Edit:] I do not think QT was ever meant to replace Windows Desktop Search.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:23 PM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Did you notice this command:
? ^folder   It selects other than the folder.
- or this:
? _   Desktop search is started.

(I did not test any of this)

Command summary:

/ Regular expression/[ i ]   Using regular expression, it searches file name.
; (Semicolon)   It searches from summary information of the file.
: (Colon)   It searches from attribute of the file.
> < >= and <=   It searches from file size.
>> << ==   It searches from renewal day and time/compilation day and time of the file.
: : (Colon)   Doing full text retrievals from the text file, and the like it selects the file which matches.

? Folder   Just the folder is selected.
? ^folder   It selects other than the folder.
? Link   Shortcut (Internet shortcut just it includes) it selects.
? ^link   It selects other than taking a shortcut.
? Null   File size 0 selects the item which is.
? Old [ num ] [ c/m ]
? New [ num ] [ c/m ]   Have old,/new time stamp just the quantity which appoints those which selects.
? Large [ num ]
? Small [ num ]   File size large,/small ones (the folder excludes) just the quantity which is appointed selects.
? Today
? Todayc   The object which today is renewed is selected.
The object which today was drawn up is selected.
? Yesterday
? Yesterdayc   Yesterday
? Week
? Weekc   This week
? Lastweek
? Lastweekc   Last week
? Year
? Yearc   This year
? Lastyear
? Lastyearc   Last year
? Month
? Monthc   This month
? Lastmonth
? Lastmonthc   Last month
? Hour
? Hourc   Current time
? Md5   MD5 value of the file which it is selective is indicated.
If the MD5 value which agrees to the clipboard has entered, it informs.
In addition, when selecting two files, those MD5 values agree, or inspect.
?   Command is executed by way of command prompt.
? _   Desktop search is started.
? ?   Web it searches with Google.

-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:29 AM by Curt »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Yes, I noticed those ("? Folder   Just the folder is selected." , "? ^folder   It selects other than the folder.")
But I suspect those switches only narrow the search to files and/or folders (foldernames) inside the current folder. So still no search within subfolders.

I'm not sure though since everything I type after the ? runs according to this switch:
"?   Command is executed by way of command prompt."

I agree that QTToolBar probably never aspired to replace the regular Explorer search. Still, subfolder searches would be really neat!  8)

If you have multiple explorer tabs in QTTabBar and then do a search, do you get matches from within the active folder or from all folders?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:46 AM by Nod5 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 12:53 PM »
Arghh; I was wrong again again  :-[ :
This is most definitely SearchAsYouType. Yes!

But only within the active folder tab.

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 01:23 AM »
Yes, it's search as you type, and it does exactly what I need it to do. If I need a more in depth search, I'll turn to my indexing program which is extremely fast and lets me work with files exactly as in explorer anyway.

I have a download folder with hundreds of unsorted ebooks for example. Sorting these will take several days, if not weeks. Typing in a certain title and having only those items shown will save major time and make sorting them much more enjoyable.

Concerning features, there are probably more coming, as these products seem to be in current and active development and have had a few very recent revisions.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 03:19 AM »
Great that there's Search as You Type! I'll try QTTabbar later this week. One custom tool I'm thinking of trying to set up would be a link to FindAndReplaceRobot or some similar tool. you type a phrase in QTTabbar/QTToolbar2 and press a custom key. FARR is then launched and searches with the phrase in the active folder and all subfolders.

BTW, given that QTToolbar2 only searches the current folder it's very extensive custom search options really seems overkill.

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 04:15 AM »
I do something similar using Locate. 

I use SlickRun and type find, search, or locate and then the terms and in about 3 seconds I have my results. I don't know if you can do this with QTToolbar. Would be cool though.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 10:19 AM »
..., given that QTToolbar2 only searches the current folder it's very extensive custom search options really seems overkill.

I have only had this machine for a month, so I don't really use Search, yet - I know where the little stuff I have so far is located - but please don't forget that QT will search the entire PC as well, if you want it to. But of course you're right; it really should search subfolders too.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 06:23 PM »
I guess there aren't any comments since most of us that would use this kind of extended functionality have already moved to an explorer replacement...

Having read "Getting to know Directory Opus" I can understand what you mean. I never cared for such programs before because of their asking prices, but this Directory Opus 9 is awesome!

- and so is the price.   :(

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 02:56 AM »
Here's a Tango theme for QT TabBar.

imagestrip.png

*I should mention that if you want to use these then you must right click on QT's toolbar > Customize > Browse Image > then point to wherever you want to save this PNG file. Your toolbar buttons will then look like this:

Capture-007.png
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:00 AM by Nighted »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 05:20 AM »
Wow, Nighted; from very good looking to even better looking!
 :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 07:33 PM »

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 08:22 PM »
I saw this released at Deviantart.com. I'm not sure why the guy put X's on the tabs, as they don't actually function. I noticed a few people were confused about that.

The toolbar is Styler, not the toolbar available in QT TabBar.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 05:22 AM »
Quite confusing, and even disappointing!

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 07:07 AM »
New versions of QTTabBar and QTAddressBar available at http://quizo.at.info...reeware/indexEn.html. Better than before. Enjoy!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 11:12 PM »
Thanks for pointing these dines out to us, Curt. I've finally gotten around to installing them and boy, do they ever make a difference to Windows Explorer! I doubt that this will wean me off DOpus 9, but it makes Windows Explorer a utility that I will be adding back into the list of File Managers that I play around with  :Thmbsup: