ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Infected file in system32 folder?

(1/3) > >>

nite_monkey:
Today my anti-virus program (avast home edition) came up saying that C:\WINDOWS\system32\server.exe is infected with a Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}, I would like to know what this file is, and possibly how it got on my computer, and if I should remove it?

f0dder:
Not present on my XP SP2...

Which windows version are you running, and how is it connected to the internet? (Most important: are you behind a NAT'ing router that does not forward all traffic by default to your box?)

nite_monkey:
I am running XP pro SP2
I am conected to a hub(I think) which is conected to a router, which is conected to the cable modem.
That is about all I can tell you about the way I am conected to the internet, I am not very smart when it comes to internet and what not.

Curt:
Today my anti-virus program (avast home edition) came up saying that C:\WINDOWS\system32\server.exe is infected -nite_monkey (April 08, 2007, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not present on my XP SP2...-f0dder (April 08, 2007, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe it should be setver.exe, not server.exe ??

Read about it here - Oops! The interesting part of the article is Subscribers only. Sorry!

nite_monkey:
nah, I have a server.exe and a setver.exe, setver is clean, server isn't

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version