Gridmove has inspired this idea/request.
This would mainly be beneficial to twin monitors.
in short, the right monitor show a preview of all applications active, and the left monitor is the work area.
Most of my work is predominantly done on the left monitor, and the right for reference and keeping a eye on different apps.
What I would like -
- to have a grid on the right monitor, and a full screen on the left.
- the grid on the right auto detects apps that are open and grids accordingly (2x2, 3x2, 3, 3x4 custom etc)
- when a new application is started, become full screen on left, and existing full screen is swapped to right and new grid shown.
- when i select a window on the right grid, it automatically expands and swaps to full screen on the left
- when a swap occurs, the app that was full screen (left) is now shown on the right screen in the grid.(swaps position)
- selection of grid windows by mouse or shortcut, ie ctrl-alt-3 would swap left monitor with grid no#3 window
a quick dc irc discussion suggested this could be done by a 'gridmove command' that when activated would automatically swap with the biggest grid location. thus allowing single screen users a similar function.
if this is not entirely clear, just let me know and I will try some mockup screen shots etc.
this might also be a entirely new application, but it fits the 'gridmove' feel and functionality