ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Blue Screens : FARR? just wondering...

<< < (2/2)

Armando:
OK. I've had so much work to do in the last month that I've decided to close my eyes on BSODs (memory parity errors only). After all, I haven't lost any files... Yet.

But the problem is still there. I've actually had no BSODs for 10 days (Wow), using my computer for multiple tasks, multimedia and office, then : 2 BSODs yesterday one after the other. Both happened while searching with FARR, after installing OpenOffice.org (to compare it to MS Office). I'd be surprised that it's related to OO.org, but it's worth to mention.

Tested everything again (RAM, etc.). My computer seems stable, except for these occurrences while using FARR. Weird. More so with the alphas of v.2.

Of course, I'm not implying it's FARR's fault, something wrong with the program. I Use that software so much  :-* . It's really hard to imagine going back to the era where I didn't use it.

But I'm trying to *understand* how could FARR trigger these BSODs. After all, FARR is mainly searching, isn't it ? Or is it ?

Any suggestions ?  :(

Armando:
OpenOffice is Gone. But...

Again : BSOD using FARR.
What could do that ???? Why would it only happen when I use FARR ??
Any ideas ?

Should I just send my laptop back to DELL while it's still under warranty ?  :(

mouser:
hmmm...
the only thing i can think of is that somehow the kind of disk access is crashing your computer for some reason, and so that file searching is triggering bsods.  do the bsods happen while it is actively searching? or on triggering?  have you run some other benchkmarking tools to try to stress test your computer/memory/disk.  maybe try conducting searches using another tool and see if you cant trigger it.

after many years of farr ive never once had it cause me a bsod even when it has really misbehaved, so i am fairly certain that it's not a case of FARR causing a bsod by doing something bad, but it could be that there is something happening on your pc where disk access of some type could trigger a bsod, which would make farr the thing that is leading to it.

Armando:
Thanks for your answer mouser.
after many years of farr ive never once had it cause me a bsod even when it has really misbehaved, so i am fairly certain that it's not a case of FARR causing a bsod by doing something bad
--- End quote ---
Yes, I don't think that FARR is the source of the problem. I've used FARR on another computer without any problems ever. So, it's with this computer that there's a problem. I'm just trying to find out where's the conflict.

the only thing i can think of is that somehow the kind of disk access is crashing your computer for some reason, and so that file searching is triggering bsods.  do the bsods happen while it is actively searching? or on triggering?
--- End quote ---
It happens at the begining of a search -- not just triggering.

Is there a specific kind of disk access that FARR uses so that I could try to mimic it with some other search program ?
I was going to run something like prime95 to check my laptop's stability... But I don't know if that would be adequate.
Any suggestions ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version