ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows XP Annoyance: ToolTip pop-ups

<< < (5/8) > >>

Mandork:
Just download Tweak UI from Microsoft.  It will also give you the ability to tinker with other hidden settings without the need for 3rd party software or messing around with the registry:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

app103:
I have the opposite problem. I lose my tooltips periodically, systemwide. I thought this was a 9x specific problem for a long time and then I got XP and found out that isn't the case.

I don't just lose them on the taskbar...I lose them for everything.-app103 (April 06, 2007, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

April, if you loose the tooltips again, you will most likely be able to make them come back if you dis- and en- able the feature by using X-Setup Pro 9 in Classic mode > Appearance > Explorer > Content Display Settings > Explorer /Desktop ToolTip Options.
-Curt (April 08, 2007, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

On 9x I can't do it, but on XP the easiest way for me to get them back is to kill & restart Explorer....then use PS Tray Factory to get all my tray icons back. Works every time.  ;)

On 9x, if I am patient, they will come back later...all on their own (or I could reboot).

It annoys me most when I can't figure out which tray icon is which, when some look alike...or when I can't figure out which component is which on the palette in Delphi.

btw...I just noticed that they are missing again...time for me to go kill Explorer...again.  >:(

lanux128:
i'm not sure if this can be turned off without some 3rd party tools.. anyway, Mandork mentioned Tweak UI earlier, but i couldn't find anything on tool tips.. the closest thing is to disable balloon tips (see screenshot).. let me see if googling returns anything.. :)

dlabrecque:
Sorry I've been away...

Well, Tweak UI didn't do it. KillTT did indeed kill the tooltips in the taskbar. Sadly, it also killed the tooltips in other programs where I want them to happen.  :(

Ideally, I'd like to be able to set a delay before they pop up, and even more ideally, separately for the task bar and for applications. Oh, well.

Am I the only person out there who's annoyed by the fact -- and thinks it's a little strange -- that these things pop up immediately and obscure the various icons we're trying to work with? In particular the quick launch stuff on the left and the tray icons on the right.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Curt:
I'm having a little hard time understadning why these tips are so annoying to you. Are they any bigger than this one, or maybe placed too many pixels lower, so they're covering the taskbar icons? Can you show us a screenshot, please?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version