ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows XP Annoyance: ToolTip pop-ups

(1/8) > >>

dlabrecque:
Hey. I'm a newbie. Sorry if there's a better place to post this. Lemme know...

When I place my mouse pointer over items in my Task Bar, there's a pop-up balloon almost immediately that often obscures stuff I want to see. For a long time I've been trying to find a way to increase the delay time before they pop-up or make 'em stop altogether. No luck so far. Does anyone have any ideas?  :huh:

Thanks a zillion!  :)

dhuser:
dlabrecque:
Welcome to DonationCoder! I do not think there is a way to disable this. It probably can not be disabled, as it is hardwired into the system.

dhuser

mrainey:
To Disable The Notification Area Balloon Tips
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
1.   Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
2.   Navigate to the following subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
3.   Right-click the right pane, create a new DWORD value, and then name it EnableBalloonTips.
4.   Double-click this new entry, and then give it a hexadecimal value of 0.
5.   Quit Registry Editor. Log off Windows, and then log back on.
These steps disable all Notification Area balloon tips for this user. There is no way to disable balloon tips for specific programs only.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307729

dlabrecque:
Hey, thanks. Someone else told me just moments ago of that tweak. I tried it. I rebooted. It didn't work.  :(

Looks like it's intended for the Notification Area only. Well, I was hoping I could turn off all Task Bar pop-ups. But even my Notification Area (system tray) is still popping up!  :(

It's weird. 3 ns of hoverage and there's balloon getting in the way. Makes it tough to move around and see where I'm clicking.  >:(

Does this happen with everyone in XP who doesn't apply the tweak?

BTW, dhuser -- thanks for the welcome.  :)

app103:
I have the opposite problem. I lose my tooltips periodically, systemwide. I thought this was a 9x specific problem for a long time and then I got XP and found out that isn't the case.

I don't just lose them on the taskbar...I lose them for everything.

If I ever find out why I lose them, I will be sure to let you know so you can do it on purpose (and I can fix my prob once & for all).  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version