ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

engineer joke

(1/2) > >>

mrainey:
There are four engineers traveling in a car; a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, an electrical engineer and a computer engineer. The car breaks down.

"Sounds to me as if the pistons have seized. We'll have to strip down the engine before we can get the car working again", says the mechanical engineer.

"Well", says the chemical engineer, "it sounded to me as if the fuel might be contaminated. I think we should clear out the fuel system."

"I thought it might be an grounding problem", says the electrical engineer, "or maybe a faulty plug lead."

They all turn to the computer engineer who has said nothing and say: "Well, what do you think?" "Ummm perhaps if we all get out of the car and get back in again?"

nite_monkey:
lol, thats pretty funny. I don't see how the computer tech's idea would work. I haven't heard that joke.

mouser:
I *think* the joke is that the computer engineer suggests the nonsensical idea that amounts to basically just "try it again", must like if your computer crashes, you just try rebooting it and hope it starts working. 

However my personal experience tells me the computer engineer's solution is by far the best:
1) it only takes a minute to try it, and if it works you've saved yourself a ton of time and effort vs the other suggestions.
2) let's face it, sometimes when you "try it again" it works..  the world is a mysterious place.

mrainey:
you just try rebooting it and hope it starts working
--- End quote ---

And lots of times it does ...

app103:
I heard this one just a little bit differently:

3 engineers travel on a desert road in a good old '76 VW Beetle. One is a mechanical engineer, the second one is an electric engineer and the last one is a computer engineer.

The VW Beetle starts making weird engine noises and stops. Then, the mechanical engineer goes back, looks at it for a couple hours and gives his veredict:

"This thing needs a complete overhaul of all friction components, plus the warpage limits of the engine heads are beyond specifications..."

The electrical engineer takes over and starts staring at the engine...after three hours he gives out his veredict:

"This thing isn't working because the voltage present on the battery is not enough, and the electromagnetic effect of the generator is too low for the car to run correctly..."

The computer engineer stares at the engine bay for 6 hours, looking under the mass of cables, hoses, until he stands up and tells his companions:
"We are doomed. I can't find the reset button on this thing!!!"

or this one:

Three engineers were riding in a car: a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, and a Microsoft software engineer. The car stalled, and they rolled it to the side of the road.

The mechanical engineer popped the hood, looked in and said "Look. The drive belt is loose. All we have to do is tighten it up and the car will work just fine."

The chemical engineer replied "No, that's all wrong. The problem is fuel contamination. We have to drain the fuel, filter it, and then everything will be A-OK."

The Microsoft software engineer told the other two "No, I've seen this problem before. We have to get back in the car, close all the windows, shut down the car, get out, get back in, start up the car, open all the windows, and then it will run."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version