ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What fonts do I actually need?

(1/6) > >>

Ampa:
Today I was looking through the list of fonts that I have installed on my system - 186 in total.

Many of those installed I didn't choose to have there... in fact there are several that I really dislike - Comic Sans anyone?

It is not that I feel these extra fonts are slowing the system down, but they are slowing me down! It is tiresome wading through several screens of bland fonts just to find to ones that I want.

So here are my questions...

1) Which fonts do I actually need to have installed?

I am sure that this will in some way be related to the software that I have installed...

* Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP fonts
* Office 97, 2000, XP, 2003 fonts
* Know of any more lists for major apps? (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver etc)
But I don't believe that all these fonts are actually used by the software; so which ones are actually required?

I know that Marlett is used for parts of the Windows GUI - so removing that would be inadvisable, but does it really need all those others?

2) Is there any way to find out which program installed a certain font?

I would imagine that the answer to this is a NO, other than searching for a list online.

3) I have a few 'vector' fonts in my windows directory (Modern, Roman, Script etc) - what are they?

And more importantly - do i need them?

4) Out of curiosity - how many fonts do you have installed on your machine?

I am not talking about your font library, only those that you have active at all times.

Ampa

app103:
Here are a few that may add more fonts to your list:

Fonts YOU SHOULD NEVER DELETE!
Windows Font Basics in 5 Easy Lessons
Removing fonts can be tricky (this is a good read and mentions things you may not have thought of)

I do not install any fonts into my fonts folder by choice unless it is one I know I will be using on a regular basis for some purpose.

Yet I seem to currently have 395 fonts in there.  :-[

They sneak in when you install other applications. I never bothered with removing them. It gives me something to work with in Paintshop Pro when I don't feel like looking in my huge 12,000+ fonts collection for 'the perfect font'.

Curt:

Various programs have installed an unknown number, and I have installed a single font myself, making it 424.

Nighted:
Having too many fonts will slow your machine down. Not a good idea!

If you want that many fonts, you should keep them in another folder other than the system fonts folder and use a font manager similar to Font Xplorer (now free) to load fonts only when you need them.

Windows Fonts That Should Not Be Deleted

Eóin:
Sorry for the unproductive post but speaking of comic sans :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version