ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Virtual Drive Pro

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
A 13% discount might not be worth mentioning, but as usual Uniblue will offer you additional 15% rebate if you abort the purchase before its too late - making it $29.74 ( instead of $34, normally $40). Besides, my problem is a little different: they explain and explain, and still I don't understand what this "Virtual Drive" really is, or what its good for!

How down to earth are you: can you make me understand what this is?
, and any pro/cons?  :tellme:

Farstone Virtual Drive Pro

Buy now and get a 13 % discount with Uniblue!

VirtualDrive Pro converts CDs and unprotected DVDs into MP3-like files, or “virtual CDs,” which run in place of original discs in any one of up to 23 “virtual drives” created in the software.

Archive your virtual CDs (VCDs) in a searchable library. Transport your VCDs on a laptop computer or USB device, and share them over a network. Since VCDs play directly on your hard drive, they save wear and tear on your CD-ROM drive and extend the battery life of laptop computers. VCDs also have access rates more than 200 times faster than physical CDs in a CD-ROM drive, improving the playback of PC games, photo CDs, and disc-based applications.

VirtualDrive Pro makes it a snap to create custom VCDs with favorite tracks, expansion packs, custom programs, and documentation. Pre-load your virtual drives to run several VCDs simultaneously, swapping them out via hot keys to avoid load times and spin up delays. Your virtual drives will show up as drive letters in Windows Explorer, which views them as physical drives, even though they are not!

We [Uniblue] have partnered with Farstone to recommend the excellent Virtual Drive Pro. A 13% discount is available on this product for all Uniblue customers. This is a limited time offer so act now. Click Here to take advantage of this offer.

--- End quote ---

Darwin:
Uniblue will offer you additional 15% rebate if you abort the purchase before its too late
--- End quote ---
  :D

I thought I was the only one that had noticed vendors doing this... I've taken advantage of the same tactic when purchasing from Nuance (Digital River?) and Tenebril. Nuance gave me a further $20 off and Tenebril gave me a free copy of their StickyNotes programme.

Another tactic I've noted is that some developers offer a significant discount when you uninstall a trial of their product - at one time Actual was offering a full 50% off the price of their products via a link displayed in a webpage that popped up after uninstall. It's subsequently gone down to 20%... No, I didn't take advantage of their offer (not that I don't like their products, I just don't need them!). Good to know...

Darwin:
PS I think the functionality of Virtual Drive is similar to other products that allow you to create an image of a CD or DVD locally and have your computer treat it as if it is actually media mounted in your optical drive...

Curt:
I have a game (yes; one game only) on DVD, but I think it handles too slow. Might this VD thing be what I need to make this game react a lot faster? Never thought of this before; can you even record a game?

Darwin:
Yes - I meant to mention in my previous post that these kind of apps were very popular with gamers, particularly when deaing with slow CD-ROM drives - games run much faster off the hard drive...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version