ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Favorite Sci-fi movies?

<< < (6/10) > >>

40hz:
It's also a bit of a visual nod to the famous Scopes Monkey Trial in the US where a substitute high school teacher went on trial in 1925 for violating a Tennessee law know as The Butler Act which effectively banned the teaching of evolutionary theory in publicly funded schools.

Scopes was ultimately convicted of violating the act and fined $100. The judgement was later thrown out on a legal technicality rather than a constitutional one. But the state of Tennessee (wisely in the face of withering publicity) decided not to retry the case.

The legal battle to teach evolutionary theory continues to this day in America.  

mouser:
Not my favorite but i'm surprised no one has mentioned the Cube series -- good stuff.

IainB:
It's also a bit of a visual nod to the famous Scopes Monkey Trial in the US where a substitute high school teacher went on trial in 1925 ...

-40hz (June 10, 2014, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that about the US "Scopes Monkey Trial". Amazing. There's something new to learn every day. I would guess that the POTA producers had some fun juxtaposing the contradictions in human society with those in the ape society. "Stupid apes! Oops, that means stupid humans too!" Reminds me of the fun they had in that clever Star Trek episode where the people who lived on two planets circling the same star were perpetually at war - the people on each planet were identical humanoids, except that the ones on planet A had faces which were black on the left vertical half, and white on the right, and the people on planet B had the opposite.

I also had noticed that (as you said) "The legal battle to teach evolutionary theory continues to this day in America.". That's pretty amazing too.
It's all very confusing. There are two main camps. The Theory of Evolution was apparently developed from Darwin's rational thought and observations, and he was a devout Christian, yet the Creationist "theory" is an irrational religio-political ideology favoured by the Christians - and the Islamists too, come to think of it. Mind you, the Islamists apparently also hold that the Jews are descended from apes and pigs, which is kinda half right per Evolutionary Theory, so they (Islamists) seem to have a foot in both camps to some extent, except the pig thing confuses the heck out of me.

I reckon 2001 could have got it spot-on in any event. We had some help from dem aliens...

TaoPhoenix:
It's also a bit of a visual nod to the famous Scopes Monkey Trial in the US where a substitute high school teacher went on trial in 1925 ...

-40hz (June 10, 2014, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that about the US "Scopes Monkey Trial". Amazing. There's something new to learn every day. I would guess that the POTA producers had some fun juxtaposing the contradictions in human society with those in the ape society. "Stupid apes! Oops, that means stupid humans too!" Reminds me of the fun they had in that clever Star Trek episode where the people who lived on two planets circling the same star were perpetually at war - the people on each planet were identical humanoids, except that the ones on planet A had faces which were black on the left vertical half, and white on the right, and the people on planet B had the opposite.

I also had noticed that (as you said) "The legal battle to teach evolutionary theory continues to this day in America.". That's pretty amazing too.
It's all very confusing. There are two main camps. The Theory of Evolution was apparently developed from Darwin's rational thought and observations, and he was a devout Christian, yet the Creationist "theory" is an irrational religio-political ideology favoured by the Christians - and the Islamists too, come to think of it. Mind you, the Islamists apparently also hold that the Jews are descended from apes and pigs, which is kinda half right per Evolutionary Theory, so they (Islamists) seem to have a foot in both camps to some extent, except the pig thing confuses the heck out of me.

I reckon 2001 could have got it spot-on in any event. We had some help from dem aliens...
-IainB (June 10, 2014, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting that we don't do more with the franky amazing internet in school. I'd heard of the Scopes Monkey trial "backwards" through the play "Inherit the Wind" which (wait for it ... according to Wikipedia) does take a couple of dramatic finesses to make it watchable in the context of the 1950's Red Scare environment.

But look now, whenever I see new stuff, I just open a new browser tab, select either regular or Wiki search, and then pull up something, and I learn more "tangentially" in an hour than I could have learned in *years* old school style.

CWuestefeld:
Not my favorite but i'm surprised no one has mentioned the Cube series -- good stuff.
-mouser (June 10, 2014, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I really enjoyed the first Cube movie. Are the sequels in the same ballpark of quality?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version