ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Don't be fooled, Vista wants new hardware

<< < (7/9) > >>

JeffK:
I'm installing Vista (Business) on my relatively new laptop today.  Wish me luck.

Jeff
-JeffK (April 10, 2007, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm having a lot of trouble.  The first reboot during installation brought on a "Disk Read Error Press CAD to reboot".

I couldn't get around it so now I am having to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade.  Not happy Bill.

-JeffK (April 11, 2007, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fresh install worked fine.  Fortunately it is a new laptop so I don't have to reinstall many apps.

zridling:
I added more to the fire here. Waiting for Ed Bott to clarify Microsoft's EULA for them, which is sad. As Ed writes: If I have a technical question about Windows, I don't call a lawyer. Likewise, if I have a question about the legal agreement that is the Windows license, I don't call technical support. The issues are completely different, a fact that has confused Microsoft's employees, its customers, and even so-called experts that claim to be Windows insiders....

MrCrispy:
I'm glad they removed the database filesystem thing... not needed for most people, very expensive to have running, and replaced by the desktop searched
--- End quote ---

Ah, but WinFS was so much more than just search. Even though some of the search functionality is in Vista, a lot of what they really wanted to do is gone. e.g. in the earlier beta builds, My Documents, Music etc were virtual folders that would aggregate the docs and music found on your system. That was a step in the right direction, so people wouldn't have to worry about where their content is saved (a lot of people simply save files on their desktop).

Search was just one part of WinFS. The other big thing was relationships. You could link, e,g an eamil you received in Outlook (which btw you could see in a virtual folder called Emails, and not have to open Outlook), to the people it mentioned (which would be in your system wide Contacts, not just the email address book), which would be linked to all the documents/pictures which mentioned those people. All this would be done automatically given the right metadata. The ideas behind WinFS were to expose all information in a uniform way instead of being tied to apps that understand a propietary format, and let the user make sense of it. They were very radical, and very hard to implement, and perhaps too much of a change for most users. But all this was demo'd back at PDC in 2003 when Longhorn was announced and damnit, I want that!!

zridling:
I guess the biggest thing was that in the five years they took to develop Vista, the world done gone and changed in a big way. Microsoft was knocked on its heels by XP's original security problems and thus was born SP2 instead of a full Windows upgrade. Meanwhile, since SP2, the world went all RSS and email all but went Web 2.0. All the while, Microsoft kept quietly removing lurid features like WinFS that MrCrispy writes about, and instead we got stuck with Aero, which frankly, is a joke. If you're going to stay with a 32-bit system, there's no good reason to move to Vista. Instead, just wait for Windows 7 (Fiji, or whatever they change the name to every other month).

Darwin:
MrCrispy - you've made me sad about what Longhorn became all over again. With luck, these features will be developed and released with the next version, which is due out when, next year? Actually, I dimly recall mention of WinFS being planned for release as an update to Vista later this year or next, or am I just engaging in wishful, hagiographic thinking?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version