ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Don't be fooled, Vista wants new hardware

<< < (5/9) > >>

zridling:
Yep, me too. If UltraEdit and NewsLeecher had Linux versions, it'd be a lot easier. Sure, Crossover and Wine help, but it's not the same. I spend my day in UltraEdit. Meanwhile, in the background, I'm downloading crap day and night on Usenet and bittorrent. The great thing is that Linux continues to make persistent strides and more people use various Linux distros on the desktop than Apple's OS X, but you'd never know because that doesn't make the stockholders happy to know such a thing! Besides, computing ain't real unless you're doing it with only one mouse button.

f0dder:
btw, Vista uses a lot of RAM due to SuperFetch. You don't want memory lying unused anyway. Most of the slowdown comes from the indexing as well as the constant drm and integrity checks that Vista keeps running.
-MrCrispy
--- End quote ---
Unused RAM is wasted RAM, sure thing, that's what the BSD folks have been going by for ages. I'm not sure SuperFetch is the only reason why Vista swallows a lot of RAM, though... the point is that you should adapt to the amount of available RAM - even XP runs pretty well with 512meg.

I don't think the Linux or OS X revolution is going to happen anytime soon, so sooner or later I'll probably be forced to go the Vista route. With blackbox, explorer^2 and some manual tweaking, it might just be bearable. I'm going to hate the crappy new save-as dialogs and whatnot, though >_<.

Again, it's pretty sad they messed all the gui parts up so much, added all the drm crap, and made the system so hardware greedy for no reason at all - a lot of aspects about the kernel changes sound pretty nice.

zridling: try having a look at SlickEdit for linux, it's appearantly the bee's knee's. I find the UI pretty ugly though, enough that I'm never going to appreciate it's power. Or whatever.

JeffK:
I'm installing Vista (Business) on my relatively new laptop today.  Wish me luck.

Jeff

Darwin:
Good luck, Jeff! FWIW, what I've seen/experienced with Vista on computers in shops (this is extremely limited exposure to Vista, I admit) seems more integrated and impressive than I recall XP seeming when it first came out (I waited two and a half years to upgrade to XP).

Let us know how you make out!

Hirudin:
Add files dialog? What's that..?

I'll be upgrading soon to Vista Business. I got a copy on eBay for $80 (a copy that the seller got for free BTW), it's supposedly the same as the retail version... For anyone interested, I also got a copy of Premium OEM for $35... So, if you do your shopping right you can get a copy for very little compared to the insane retail price. Ultimate doesn't seem to be much less than the OEM version on Newegg... you could prolly get a copy for $165 if you look hard enough.

I installed a trial on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8500, 2.4 ghz P4, 1g RAM, nVidia 4200 "go" video) by installing without a key. There aren't drivers for my video card, so everything is excruciatingly slow. Like, I tried Solitaire; it took about 3 minutes to manage to move a red 4 onto a black 5. It took so long because if I clicked, then moved the mouse, it would sometimes click somewhere else. I turned on the CPU/RAM gauge widget... Sitting at idle the CPU never got below 7%, and would spike to 60% or so every few seconds... funny.

After I install it on my desktop (with much better specs) I'm going to give Aero a chance. I like the idea of transparency and stuff, I think it'll be neat! Using 3D tech for a 2D interface has been a good idea for a long time, Yoshi's Island anyone? I'm glad it's finally come to the computer world.
I look forward to using 64 bit, though I'm not sure what I think it'll do differently. All I know, is when the SNES was coming out, we all knew that it was 16 bit, and that made it better!
So far, I also like the widgets. Of course something similar is available already for XP (I think Yahoo has some program, and there's others) but it wont come close to being universal until it's included in the OS. I plan to have the widgets on my second monitor, always on top (that's gotta be a choice) and transparrent.

I very glad they put all the versions onto every DVD! Well, sorta. There's 2 different DVDs, a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version. The weird thing is, the image of the 32 bit DVD is only 2.49 gigs. Surely the 64 bit version isn't too large to fit onto a 7.4 gig DVD!?!? Maybe they're trying to avoid any possible compatibility issues with dual layer DVD ROMs? The very real advantage I see to this is those of us who want to buy a Laptop can format and reinstall Windows immediately. Goodbye stupid AOL crap. Goodbye stupid HP/Dell/Sony software! Goodbye being tied down to discs that don't include the latest service packs... well, for the most part.

As for the complaints above...
Yeah, I can't believe it still restarts twice... it didn't blink and stuff for me, but I also wasn't playing that much attention.

Who cares about boot speed? I mean, sure if you restart 5 times or more in an hour it might be annoying, but I can't imagine many of us do that very often. I think people bitch about the boot time because it's so quantitative, anyone can use a stopwatch and see that one takes longer to boot than the other, but I doubt many people can explain why it matters so much to them that one is a whopping 10 seconds slower.

Programs are starting more slow than XP? Wha? How is this possible? We can all be sure that if this is an actual problem it'll be resolved soon. I mean, it's mostly a function of how quickly the data can be read from the HDD and put on the RAM isn't it? Vista isn't making our HDDs slower is it?

IE sucks anyway. I've heard that Firefox used to cause BSODs, but you can be sure that'll end soon (if it hasn't already). Explorer has always sucked, I actually think it looks better now (but I'll be putting Directory Opus on there anyway).

I agree that dialog is huge, but I think it's fairly simple. I always forget that by renaming the file in the dialog is how you activate the "rename" button in Opus. This has all 3 common options in the same dialog... certainly it's not confusing?
Also, it looks like the dialog also tells you how many files the "apply to all" option is going to effect. A useful piece of information!

I think the problem you're having with the Save As dialog is probably more related to the program than Vista. This problem is also very common in XP. In media players if you choose to add a "file" to your playlist one dialog appears and starts in folder "A", choose to add a "folder" to the playlist and a DIFFERENT dialog opens in folder "B"...

That explorer shot looks fine to me, similar to XP...

How come "DRM" and "drivers" are always brought up together regarding Vista? Don't tell me there are driverz (like "warez") out there... Really, is there DRM with anything except entertainment media? Why are you buying music or videos. Why are you consorting with people who buy music or videos? If you can't watch Lost because you can't get a copy without DRM that's a problem with you, not the OS...

And a couple complaints of my own...
Have I missed something? Since when is searching on your own computer so important? I use the windows search maybe once every 2 months... who cares?

It sure is lame they removed the cool new FAT/NTFS/whatever thing they hyped the shit out of at the beginning! Of course, Linux is barely catching up with NTFS, I guess Linux users should be rejoicing...

Is the stream of consciousness thing working for anyone else? No? I'll shut up now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version