ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Don't be fooled, Vista wants new hardware

<< < (2/9) > >>

f0dder:
I installed Vista on my AMD64x2 4400+, 2gig ram, GeForce 7600GT system... on a 2x160 GB raid-stripe that's "plenty fast". Following Microsoft's WOW!!!!1111 campaign, here goes:

1) WOW, it still has to reboot multiple times during installation.
2) WOW, screen flickers and displays weird characters, then goes blank for extended periods during installation, but unlike 2k and xp installs, there's no warning about this.
3) WOW, it boots almost as fast as XP after installation.
4) WOW, in spite of the hardware-accelerated GUI, it feels no faster/smoother than XP (and some system apps are even slower, because of the way their UI is done).
5) WOW, applications start up slower than on XP (might improve after running it for X days because of prefetching and whatnot, but still lame that initial speed is bad).
6) WOW, IE7 and the new explorer in Vista are slow compared to IE6 and old explorer.
7) WOW, the Aero interface and flip 3d are useless.
8) WOW, it took five minutes from inserting an usb flash drive until Vista would let me access it.
9) WOW, the UAC is annoying.
10) WOW, it's even more hype and less value than I imagined.

Too bad, really. There's supposedly some pretty decent changes in the kernel (like I/O priorities), but everything gets bogged down by the most heavy and useless GUI that Microsoft has come up with to date. Yay. When the base OS doesn't fly on the hardware mentioned above, something went really, really, really sour.

jgpaiva:
Ok, now that i've got a completelly unpartial mini-review of vista by f0dder, i'm definitelly sure i won't install Vista any soon. Specially given the fact that my laptop is 4 times less powerful than that computer!!

f0dder:
Heh, "completely impartial" should probably be "fascistly biased" instead. But at least I did run it on real hardware and spent a few hours with it. Also keep in mind that other people have far higher sluggishness threshold than I do, and thus might be able to accept Vista.

jgpaiva:
Yeah, the "completelly impartial" part, was definitelly ironical ;)
Well... I see your point about the "sluggishness threeshold", but you also have to notice that if Vista gets "slightly sluggish" in you machine, it'd look "tremendously DEAD" on my 512mb of memory and 4200rpm 80gb disk ;)

nosh:
I pity the uninformed fools here who think Vista is no good!
Vista is an AWESOME OS....FOR MY DOG TO POOP ON!  :-\

Jokes apart - I really feel for the people who've shelled out good money to upgrade to this travesty. MS needs to seriously rethink their OS design strategy... unless it's one big Wintel conspiracy, which seems really likely. Either that or the engineers at MS are smoking something really bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version