topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Keyboard lock  (Read 5291 times)

gumchewr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Keyboard lock
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:23 PM »
If this has been done already, I apologize and ask for directions to the program.
I am requesting a keyboard lock requiring a 3-key combination that will lock the keyboard but not blank the screen or stop running processes. I have a network monitor running but I want to be able to leave my PC for short periods of time and be able to pop-in to view the screen and leave quickly and not worry that someone will come in and mess with my keyboard during those times I am not present. If I intend to leave for an extended amount of time, I can still invoke CTRL-ALT-DEL and lock the PC. The three key combo would ideally be any key combo present on my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. Obviously, the key combo can't be an existing one such as CTRL-ALT-DEL used by the system. Maybe CTRL and ALT should not be available as part of the key combo so as to avoid problems. All other key combos would be allowed. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Keyboard lock
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:59 PM »
skrommel has already done something like this called Toddler Trap.. check here: 1 Hour Software by Skrommel

ws-skrommel-ttrap-1.png

gumchewr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:59 PM »
Thank you lanux128. As soon as I can get skrommel's page to list the available software in the right-hand pane of the screen, I will download it and try it. For some reason, when I visit Skrommel's site, only the left side displays and none of the software links work. This happens in Firefox and Internet Explorer both. It happens on my laptop and desktop. This happened before on the Coding Snacks page a few weeks ago and then cleared up by itself. To this day I don't know if it was a problem with DonationCoder or something anomalous with my PCs. Oh well....

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:23 AM »

gumchewr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:06 PM »
Thank you TucknDar, I was able to save the .exe version. Before using your link, I once again attempted to use lanux128's link to 1 Hour Software by Skrommel only to be met, this time, with a "timed out" message. Any idea what's going on?   :-\