topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Endpoint Text getting cut off  (Read 5416 times)

kproth

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Endpoint Text getting cut off
« on: September 15, 2006, 08:25 AM »
Bug report:

I noticed that the endpoint text attached to an arrow object can end up positioned outside the bounds of the current image. As long as the object definitions are saved you can't see it in the SSC editor, but if you copy the image to clipboard, or resize the canvas larger, or save it to a file without object definitions, it gets unceremoniously chopped off.

Whenever you get a chance to fix this, I have a related request -- if the arrow is exactly vertical or horizontal (not slanted at all), can the endpoint text be centered on the endpoint, rather than off to one side or the other? I imagine you'll probably also change the existing algorithm to position the text on the "inside" of the endpoint any time the endpoint is too close to the edge of the image?

Actually, if you can swing it, it might look really nice to continue allowing the text to go "outside" the image's bounds, if you can optionally expand the bounds of the image (resize the canvas) to make room for the endpoint text. Then we could have endpoint text "floating" outside the image on a transparent background.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Endpoint Text getting cut off
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:45 PM »
This has been frustrating me today too.

Ideally the endpoint text box should be positionable by the user irrespective of the angle of the arrow. This would allow all of the following...

ArrowIdeas.png

In the final example it would be nice if the canvas expanded automatically if arrows or text fell outside the current canvas area.

I see this working as follows... the text box is magnetically attached to the end of the arrow and can be dragged around, but the boundary always stays locked to the end point. Corners and mid points of lines could be snappable, and there could be a default rule that is followed, for initial positioning.

To bend an arrow, one would perhaps double click on the arrow path to add a new control point?

It is of course possible to fake all of this using the existing tools (as I did to create the screen shot) but would be so much nicer this way :)

Thanks for your consideration,

Ampa

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Endpoint Text getting cut off
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:53 PM »
i completely agree with these requests.. but it's not so easy.. i will bring them up with the author of the library i use to do the arrows.. perhaps i can pass on some screenshot captor donations to him :)