ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Would you pay for WinZip?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Veign:
I like Winzip and one of the few programs I don't look for a freeware version of.

Why?

Because Winzip has done right for me through the years by providing a great application with useful upgrades in most versions that come out.  Paying $29 +$7 year seems fair to see the direction that Winzip will take.

If the money further advances the application / technology is it worth it?  Is to me...

Will I continue to do it blindly through the years?  No.  Gonna see what, if anything, comes from this new policy in the way of new and cool things with the application...

The only concern is how much better can Winzip get - is there anything that I feel is lacking. 

I may be alone on this one as most here seem to gravitate towards freeware and my feeling is use the best software to get the job done  - even if its commercial.

mouser:
a warm place in my heart still not gonna get me to pay any yearly subscription fee for anything but a constantly updated security app.

Carol Haynes:
Will I continue to do it blindly through the years?  No.  Gonna see what, if anything, comes from this new policy in the way of new and cool things with the application...

The only concern is how much better can Winzip get - is there anything that I feel is lacking. 

I may be alone on this one as most here seem to gravitate towards freeware and my feeling is use the best software to get the job done  - even if its commercial.
-Veign (September 19, 2005, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I bought WinZip (and the EXE generator) but there has been very little development really in the last few years, certainly not worth an annual subscription. Given that WinZip was sold as "buy now - free updates for ever" I wonder how legal the new policy is anyway?

I also bought WinRAR and now tend to use that for everything (though I still have both installed on my system).

Personally I am happy to see commercial software thrive (just as I like to see free-, share-, donation-ware products out there too) but I think companies have to be realistic. When there are a plethora of companies putting out free, cheaper and better rival products it just seems plain stupid to me to start charging a subscription !!

I think GetRight have had a good policy over the years - buy once, free updates ... if you have been using it for ages consider an occasional donation to show your ongoing appreciation. I don't know how many do this but I have ...

Veign:
That's the only part that did concern me a bit.  Why pay $7 if I don't want to upgrade every year.

I just noticed that the $7 is optional so its not a worry for me anymore...

Veign:
I also bought WinRAR and now tend to use that for everything (though I still have both installed on my system).

Personally I am happy to see commercial software thrive (just as I like to see free-, share-, donation-ware products out there too) but I think companies have to be realistic. When there are a plethora of companies putting out free, cheaper and better rival products it just seems plain stupid to me to start charging a subscription !!

I think GetRight have had a good policy over the years - buy once, free updates ... if you have been using it for ages consider an occasional donation to show your ongoing appreciation. I don't know how many do this but I have ...
-CarolHaynes (September 19, 2005, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess one would have to weigh how many new users are buying the application over how many are upgrades from existing users.  If new users are high enough then offering free upgrades is not as much of an issue. 

The problem is the fact that people will not pay for an application if they are not forced too.  There are a rare few (posters on this board) that actually make a donation but most just don't.  I have several donation type applications and have 100's of downloads a day and people just won't donate.  Even the application I created for coding snacks on this board, the person I did the application for didn't donate a dime.

At least the subscription is optional and you only need to pay $29 for the application - fair price for such an application.

Didn't WinRAR and WinZIP go in different directions on the newer ZIP standard that they implemented?  This means the ZIP format that both are using are incompatible with each others applications.  I believe it had to do with an implementation of an encryption method. Not sure just something I remembered from a few years back.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version