topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Frigate3 file manager on Giveaway of the Day (March 30, 2007)  (Read 6283 times)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Might be useful to some.  I own Directory Opus, so I haven't tried it.  Looks like it has some nice features, and it's free today.  It was awarded five cows at Tucows if that kind of thing is important to you (http://tucows.com/preview/320029).

MainPanel.pngFrigate3 file manager on Giveaway of the Day (March 30, 2007)

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Frigate3 file manager on Giveaway of the Day (March 30, 2007)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:39 AM »
- I missed this gift!  :(

If anyone want this Frigate3 Pro appzoo is offering it at $28, instead of the normal $40
- but:

http://www.appzoo.com/

(...)

At first I would think of this appzoo offer on Frigate3 Pro as a fine offer, but looking at the Frigate site one may notice that the program has only been updated once since December 2005. Pitty - the Pro version of Frigate3 seems to be a really fine app.

Features:
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Price: $39.90   Buy at $27.93   Save $11.97     
File Size: 12.7 MB   
Publisher: Helmsman
Version: 3.34

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:28 AM »
digging up an old thread as Frigate3 File Manager is once again available on Giveaway of the Day!

http://www.giveawayo...-with-vista-support/

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Let's cross-reference to the other thread just for the fun of it :)
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Let's cross-reference to the other thread just for the fun of it :)

i posted this thread's link on the other thread, so you're cross-cross-referencing.. ;D on another note, has anyone tried this file-manager yet?

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 01:04 AM »
has anyone tried this file-manager yet?

I have! :)

It's a very long story so I'll give a very abbreviated version. I bought Frigate 3 or 4 years ago and I really liked it both in terms of features and its interface (which takes a little getting used to). Shortly thereafter, however, it simply and inexplicably stopped working. I have contacted the authors more times than I can count and posted on their forums and mostly got the royal run around. When I got answers it was usually try downloading this file or that one or this minor version upgrade but nothing ever fixed the problem.

I spent a lot of my time uninstalling and reinstalling minor upgrades and cleaning out the registry by hand (Frigate creates GOBS and GOBS of registry entries!) again and again. All to no avail.

When starting Frigate, it would put up a message box indicating some error and then another and another ...! My screen would be filled with them and as fast as I could click "OK" another half dozen would pop up on my screen. Only ctrl-alt-del would cure it. This back and forth with the authors went on for maybe two years. I asked for and never received a refund and, in the end, I decided to just forget about it.

So Frigate 3.5 shows up on giveawayoftheday.com and, just for laughs, I decided to download and install it. To my utter amazement, this edition actually works on my machine! The pleasure wore off shortly thereafter, however. I tried accessing an ftp site and I connected successfully. But when I tried to close the connection and the window in which it resided, I got error messages popping up on my screen - again and again and ...!

Another thing I noticed is that a number of files (not folders!!) in my Program Files directory have disappeared (someone else made the same observation on GOTD) as a result of using Frigate. None of those files were important but a file manager should NEVER delete files unless you specifically instruct it to do so.

I do know that others have used the program with no such problems. Good for them! But others have reported similar problems in the Frigate forums. The authors just don't seem to be able to get a handle on some serious flaws in their program. Go ahead and try it. If it works for you then great! I wrote the authors off a long time ago and keeping an open mind at this point is a lost cause for me.