ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ctrl + tab (first in, first out history) for excel sheets?

(1/7) > >>

urlwolf:
qst for excel ninjas...
is there any way (addin) to do ctrl + tab (first in, first out history) with excel sheets?

Any tips for navigating sheets? I find it a pain to have tabs on the bottom. No way to put them on top, or to the side in a tree form it seels.

I have seen this navigator, but why are excel addins so pricey?

A possibility would be some hack that converted all sheets to independent workbooks, (then you can ctrl tab through them). Later, it could merge them back to a single workbook.

Perry Mowbray:
Try the attached.

I found the code at http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar01.html

Unfortunately I added a sort routine before I realised you wanted "first in first out": sorry. You can always add the original code back in if you like, but I thought that a sorted list was better (especially if tabs are turned off).

Anyway, hope that helps,
Perry

Perry Mowbray:
but why are excel addins so pricey?
-urlwolf (March 30, 2007, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think $30 is pretty standard for a professional Add-In (don't know how professional the one you mentioned is), probably because they're aimed at the business market: but there are lots of good free ones about too (although I couldn't find a ready-made menu for you).

- Perry

urlwolf:
Thanks Perry, that is an interesting piece of code.
With a shortcut to get to the find box, it can make switching between sheets pretty snappy. I'd still prefer to have something like ctrl + tab, though.

The add-in I linked to shows worksheets as threes. Switching is by clicking. Not bad either. I think someone could do an emulation just changing the code you linked to (I don't think *I* would, since I know zero VBA).

I'll search a bit more, but definitely thanks for the hint!

kfitting:
Try the code below.  If it works as you want, I'll tell you how to get it to be present whenever you start excel (it's not intuitive and I don't know it off the top of my head... it involves making a personal.xls file and putting the following code in the workbook code module in an event function... if this works I'll step through that!)

Instructions:
- Open the Excel document you want to switch with ctrl-tab
- Press Alt-F11 to bring up the VBA window
- Click "Insert -> Module"
- Copy and paste the code below into the new module (it should be activated as soon as it's opened)
- Put the mouse cursor in the SetHotkey function (click anywhere in that section of code)
- Press F5 (this runs that function and sets ctrl tab to be a hotkey)
- Go back out to the main Excel window... and press... ctrl-tab....

--- Code: Visual Basic ---Sub SetHotKey()    Application.OnKey "^{TAB}", "SwitchSheet" End Sub  Sub SwitchSheet()        lngCurSheet = ActiveSheet.Index        If lngCurSheet = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Count Then        Worksheets(1).Activate    Else        Worksheets(lngCurSheet + 1).Activate    End IfEnd Sub

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version