ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

Multi-browser Bookmark Synchronization Tool and Other Multi-Browser Ideas?

<< < (5/7) > >>

urlwolf:
FYI, mag.nolia does pretty much like del.icio.us but it also copies a local version of each page you bookmark so if it dissapears, you can still see it in there.

Is there any software here that can synch with mag.nolia / del.icio.us? They kind of negate the need for this kind of soft, but in many browsers (all but firefox with del.icio.us bar) it sucks to bookmark pages in these services (you need to visit a "post" page, yet one more client/server communication!).

KenR:
FYI, mag.nolia does pretty much like del.icio.us but it also copies a local version of each page you bookmark so if it dissapears, you can still see it in there.

Is there any software here that can synch with mag.nolia / del.icio.us? -urlwolf (April 08, 2007, 04:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks urlwolf. I appreciate the information. Also, I am sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question.

Ken

iphigenie:
I am looking at the bookmark managing/synch'ing area again and have tried a few online options but the management of things is just too slow online, no matter what they try.

I tried again pretty much everything mentioned in this thread and at the moment my 2 favorites are Outertech's linkman and resort labs' link commander

Linkman: I really like the small toolbar that linkman leaves at the bottom of the screen, I can see that having this I might just use it and never use my browser's bookmarks. When I had it on I would actually click on that to add a bookmark instead of my browser's add and I loved how it warned me of duplicates. It was also as-you-type search always visible but without using much space.
I also kind of like the idea that you can have your browser's bookmarks open in the second pane, so you can control the synchronisation, but in practice I just don't seem to get around to using it, anduse that bit less than in a tool with preview or properties.
It is quite fast and powerful, the search worked really well, has all the tools I could think of needing. I only miss an internal quick view browser, somehow it helps me when checking bookmarks as it reminds me what the site was. There are a lot more features which I am not at all sure what they mean or how useful they are, but that's just typical of me :\
I had a weird issue with the trial locking up after less than a week and contacted the developer, and got a quick response, plus a follow up email when there was a new version released. Which is very nice and professional.
I almost registered this one years ago so maybe this time around I should :)

Link Commander: I find link commander quite intuitive to use for management, in a way more so than linkman. Somehow I just *like* it better. It integrates very well with opera, i can even look up the history or list of all open tabs, live, and allow me to bookmark them in bulk. It was very easy to clean, move, manage the bookmarks, but unlike linkman I didnt find myself using it to add the bookmarks while browsing. On the other hand the build in browser comes in handy for me, and it keeps a screenie if i want it, and I found I did spend a bit more time getting keywords and meta information than I ever did with linkman - in summary I used it only for managing/cleaning the bookmarks, but I used it more as it made that bit feel easier.

So I used linkman more when in conjunction with my browser, and link commander more for the move-tag-check of links. Ugh, need more cash to spend!

Between the two I am torn  :huh: must try a bit longer

rjbull:
I registered LinkStash a while back now, and like it, but it may not have all the features you want.  It now has duplicate detection and dead link checking - I think, haven't tried them - and a good license.  Adding URLs from your browser is done by user-definable hotkey.

iphigenie, if I remember correctly, you're a big fan of Martin Aignesberger's programs.  Have you tried simply using WebSite-Watcher as your bookmark manager?  It puts that little icon at the top of your browser and functions are available from there.

iphigenie:
I tried really hard to like website watcher but it's just not made for me - on paper I should just love it but it's too much setup work and then it still managed to puzzle me. Mostly I have tons of bookmarks I check once in a blue moon and just want for reference so I can find them again, and a tiny number of sites i check regularly. It was just too much work to set them all up so it wouldnt show me whenever things i am not interested in are changed...

In a way I am far too lazy - I want the tool to feel logical and smooth, and I also want it to be an improvement over the browser bookmark thing out of the box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version