topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how to backup/sync my HD and USB HD #1 to USB HD #2?  (Read 13152 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how to backup/sync my HD and USB HD #1 to USB HD #2?
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:13 AM »
Hi!

I know we have some users who are really experienced with backup programs. Here's your chance to offer a great solution! :D I want to most easily do this:

- backup certain files and folders from my HD to my USB HD #1
- backup the complete USB HD #1 to my USB HD #2 (which is connected less often)

I'd like it be more of a sync than of a backup operation, as only the files that are changed/ new in the source path should be updated in (and copied to) the destination path. Files that have been removed in the source path should be deleted in the destination path too.

It'd be great if I could set up all the source and destination paths *once* only and then, whenever I feel like it's time for a backup, just plug in the HD(s), start the program and hit a (few) button(s) to start the backup process.

Your optimal answer would point me to a software solution (does not have to be free) that is still in development.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 07:03 AM by brotherS »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sounds like a job for Allway Sync or SyncBack  :)

I tried SyncBack some time ago to back up to my FTP, but had problems getting it to work so I opted for Corban (which does the job nicely for me). Though I have used SyncBack quite successfully in other situations.

I'm about to give Allway Sync a go (for my very similar scenario) to see how it goes.

But they both should do the job. I have no idea which is better though: anyone else??

- Perry

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Never heard of Allway Sync before - looks good! --> http://allwaysync.com/screenshot.html

SyncBackSE looks pretty professional too...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
have a look at this thread -
theres recommendations for NHbackup which recognises usb drive from serial number or by drive.
https://www.donation...30.msg55451#msg55451

Tom

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
have a look at this thread -
theres recommendations for NHbackup which recognises usb drive from serial number or by drive.
https://www.donation...30.msg55451#msg55451
Thanks for the pointer. While that is a great feature, I don't really need it, mostly because I use TrueCrypt (https://www.donation...p?topic=2132.new#new), so I assign drive letters to the volumes manually anyway.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you don't mind command lines, there's XXCOPY  The free version is perfectly capable, but the payware one is better for networks.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There's also File Commander, which is freeware as well and is quite configureable. I haven't used it recently, but I found it very flexible and well thought out when I was using it. I'm not 100% sure that it will automate the process of syncing files for you though, though it will automate the process of backing things up.

PS I now use DOpus to do this for me - its file sync feature is very robust.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:24 PM by Darwin »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think I'll use a somewhat advanced sync tool with a GUI for this task. Which? Haven't decided yet, looking for more hints :)

aignes

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • WebSite-Watcher
    • Donate to Member
I use SyncBackSE for copying everything to an external hard disk.

The hard disks can also be accessed by name instead of drive letters what is great for USB drives, USB sticks or temporarily opened TrueCrypt volumes. I never had a problem with SyncBackSE, it's worth every penny...
- Martin Aignesberger,  author of WebSite-Watcher

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
brotherS, I don't know if this will help/interest you, but GiveAwayoftheDay has Frigate3 on offer today (for the next 16 hours. One of its features is both folder syncing and file comparison. Dunno... May not be what you're after but I *think* (without having tried it) that it will do the job for you...

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
brother s

I use http://www.goodsync....googs&frm=frame4
to sync Doc and Settings on my portable drive with my C drive.
When I do a full copy I use Karen's replicator
Seems to work well for me.

Lew
Lew

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have both syncBack SE and backup4All. For a while I had a license for  Genie Backup Manager (which I returned). I have tested Cobian an others (it's not trivial to test this kind of software).

My recommendation is Super Flexible File Synchronizer (SFFS). We talked about it here. You can check some ideas for a perfect backup tool here.

I find SFFS the fastest, most reliable, and ... well most flexible. The developer answers mail within minutes, and actually implement features suggested!

I wouldn't discard getting a DC discount, since there are a few of us already interested...

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for your answers!

I have both syncBack SE and backup4All. For a while I had a license for  Genie Backup Manager (which I returned). I have tested Cobian an others (it's not trivial to test this kind of software).

My recommendation is Super Flexible File Synchronizer (SFFS). We talked about it here. You can check some ideas for a perfect backup tool here.

I find SFFS the fastest, most reliable, and ... well most flexible. The developer answers mail within minutes, and actually implement features suggested!
That sounds nice! Thanks for pointing me to the discussion, where I found this.

I like some things about SB, for example the  fact that you can hit pause and resume a profile, and that options are (finally!) nicely structured and with an icon.

But in my tests SFFS is really fast. SFTP and webDAV (and amazon S 3!) is a plus. Another interesting feature is the "detect moved files" feature (lot less transfer).
The "detect moved files" feature sounds really helpful!
Does SFFS offer pause and resume options too?

I wouldn't discard getting a DC discount, since there are a few of us already interested...
:)

Oh, and what is Amazon S3?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And another question regarding how those sync tools work: let's say I want to sync drive A to drive B. When I start the process, will those files, that are still on drive B but already deleted on A will be deleted on B *before* additional files from A will be copied to B?

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to backup/sync my HD and USB HD #1 to USB HD #2?
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 07:50 AM »
brother s

With GoodSync if  A is synced with  B and the file has been deleted on A at a later time than the file was originally synced with B originally then the sync will cause the file to be deleted on B.
IE:  file  TOY is on A not B  when synced on 3/01/07. TOY is  now on both A and B.   Then file TOY is deleted from A on 3/05/07  if no sync performed it is still on B.
 Then  on 3/09/07 I sync.  Since the deletion is newer than the file TOY on B the file toy is deleted on B and now appears on neither drive.
I hope that explains it
Lew

Lew

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 12:24 PM »
And another question regarding how those sync tools work: let's say I want to sync drive A to drive B. When I start the process, will those files, that are still on drive B but already deleted on A will be deleted on B *before* additional files from A will be copied to B?

SFFS does that. I think it's called mirror mode.

AmazonS3 is a service that offers paid-for storage. You pay only the space you use.
I have a dreamhost account and don't need it, but it may be interesting for some.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 03:30 AM »
I found this (Amazon S3): http://www.amazon.co...e.html?node=16427261 Sounds promising, I bet there will be some new services based on it and like it.