topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Can you disable XP's Recovery System partly?  (Read 19674 times)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can you disable XP's Recovery System partly?
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 06:35 AM »
Can't buy on net. - no credit card and SA debit cards don't have required 3 digit security number.. :down:

Have got my local pc shop scouting for the new Acronis 10 disk - which they sell for a good price! It's worth spending about R300 ($45) IMHO :D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2007, 07:34 AM »
You might want to check out the free DriveImage XML.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2007, 07:50 AM »
Checked....

I like Acronis new option to image Folders though and write direct to DVD.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2007, 09:23 AM »
TrueImage is great when it works... However, Acronis do two things that really piss me, and a lot of their users, off. First, they release a new version every 9-12 months and require their user base to cough up for it. This is fair enough, but over three versions I've noticed (and this point is hammered home on their users' forum constantly) that the new version invariably *fixes* major features that simply did not work as advertised in the previous version. Case in point is writing to DVD in version 9. It was advertised all over the Acronis website as a must have feature in version 9, and yet it never worked reliably (backup software MUST be reliable!). People complained strenously about it for a year without a fix. Lo and behold, Acronis brought out version 10 and it's been fixed. Read the forum and you'll see constant complaining about this practice (and it is certainly not limited to the single example I've given). The point being that they release software that is advertised with certain functions that in practice do not work. The user base essentially pays to beta test features and are then expected to pay for those features when the problems with them have been ironed out. Wouldn't be so bad if they released a solid version (ie one in which all advertised features work) and then allowed their user base to beta test unstable and UNADVERTISED features, but of course they don't do this. Upgrades run in the $30 range, IIRC.

TrueImage 9 (which is the last version I paid for) works for me as I backup to USB harddrives. It works really well. However, I am tired of paying for upgrades and am leaving well enough alone. Note too that I can confirm the problems with DVD backups in 9, having backed up my wife's C: drive to three DVD's, verified the images at time of burning and TrueImage won't recognise them as valid image files!

Caveat emptor...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2007, 09:31 AM »
You don't want to use DVDs anyway.

I tried using DVDs to backup my system using TrueImae 9 (Workstation version) and the discs worked OK but the image was spread over 3 DVDs and the disc swapping to restore the image was intolerable - I spent more than 40 minutes swapping discs and as far as I could tell it still hadn't restored a byte. I copied the images to a hard disc and restored from there and they worked fine.

Moral is - even when the DVD images are good and work (and I too have had images that say they are invalid but verify and then work magically another time)  you can't reallistically do it from DVD unless you have an image that fits onto a single disc!

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2007, 10:15 AM »
I have True Image 9 - works fine so........................

I back up to my external enclosure!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Is this such a kind of 'external enclosure' you're using?  :tellme: asked the IT-analphabetic Dane:

180px-Usb_firewire_hard_disk_enclosure.jpg
A 3.5" USB/FireWire hard disk enclosure

-Wikipedia

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2007, 01:11 PM »
You don't want to use DVDs anyway.

I tried using DVDs to backup my system using TrueImae 9 (Workstation version) and the discs worked OK but the image was spread over 3 DVDs and the disc swapping to restore the image was intolerable - I spent more than 40 minutes swapping discs and as far as I could tell it still hadn't restored a byte. I copied the images to a hard disc and restored from there and they worked fine.

Moral is - even when the DVD images are good and work (and I too have had images that say they are invalid but verify and then work magically another time)  you can't reallistically do it from DVD unless you have an image that fits onto a single disc!
-Carol Haynes (April 29, 2007, 09:31 AM)

Yup. I can confirm this - I was trying to mount the drive image and was getting an error message from both TI 9 Home and TI 9.1 Workstation stating that the image was invalid or corrupt. After I posted above, it occurred to me to be "proactive" and read the help file  :-[ and sure enough discovered that you can only mount a dvd image if it is on one disc (actually, what it says is that all portions of an image must be on the same volume) so I am copying three dvds to my harddrive so that I can use TI to extract my wife's Outlook file and move it onto my old workhorse Win2k machine. Staples/Office Depot want three weeks to fix the DVD-RW... So, most of what I rant and rave about above holds true, except for my experience with DVD's - on the two setups that I have running here - Win2k and TI 9 Home/WinXP Pro and TI 9.1 Workstation, it works, it's just as slow as molasses. I really hope that I can restore from these DVD's when my wife's notebook comes back as I returned her harddrive to a clean XP install before surrendering it...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2007, 03:07 PM »
It should work fine.

Actually you can use multiple DVDs but it is flaky.

If you have the 9.1 Workstation version try booting from a rescue disc and then try to validate the archive.

IIRC the thing that cured invalid archives (that weren't actually invalid) was that you have to insert the last disc of the set first to open the archive - it won't accept the first disc and just says it is invalid. Another good example of Acronis quality control.

As I said though, trying to restore from multiple DVDs is like pulling teeth - I gave up after 40 minutes of disc swapping as my brain was about to explode with frustration!

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2007, 05:27 AM »
Is this such a kind of 'external enclosure' you're using?  :tellme: asked the IT-analphabetic Dane:

[ Invalid Attachment ]
A 3.5" USB/FireWire hard disk enclosure

-Wikipedia

More or less - mine looks slightly different as it's in a stand and is upright but yep - that's it!