ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can you disable XP's Recovery System partly?

<< < (5/7) > >>

CleverCat:
Have downloaded and just to clarify.....

Am I correct that this completely replaces system restore?

Carol Haynes:
It doesn't completely replace system restore.

System restore also notes key files that have changed (and backs up previous versions). So if DLL libraries change or drivers are installed previous versions are saved in case of trouble.

As I understand it ERUNT allows you to back up the registry - this is useful but restoring an old registry after a hardware change or the installation of new software may not roll back your system to a safe or stable state as you then potentially have registry entries pointing at drivers or libraries that are at best the wrong version or at worst may not even exist!

Curt:
No, it wont replace the System Restore in the way that you can use it to Roll Back. But maybe the question is not if it will replace XP System Restore or not, but if System Restore is worth anything to you. XP System Restore has been worth nothing to me, and you told that System Restore never worked for you. So there you have it!  :up:

But do remember that Erunt only will backup the registry keys. Each time you delete a program / anything, the backup cannot recreate such. If you want a genuine Roll Back option, you will have to create Images of the entire PC. Erunt cannot do that; it will not offer you the chance to roll back if you have deleted the wrong file or the wrong program, only the chance to recreate the registry - and for this it will need the original files to be present. I have learned the hard way to keep everything, until the PC have been working for several days with any new programs / updates. Don't empty your basket too soon!

CleverCat:
I use Acronis True Image.....and keep my install files - everything is backed up to an external enclosure. ;)

:D

Curt:
I use Acronis True Image.....and keep my install files - everything is backed up to an external enclosure. -CleverCat (April 29, 2007, 01:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I believe you should be home and free then.  :up:

-

However, you did forget to supply a link to Acronis True Image 

The price is $50 but if you abort the purchase it will offer a 10% cutdown, making it $45
- still a lot of money...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version