ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can you disable XP's Recovery System partly?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
IME MS don't really respect the settings you enter WRT scheduling!

Try turning off automatic update altogether and see if that fixes your problems.

Curt:
... Microsoft_Update. But I already had the auto-update feature set to check on Sundays only, so why would it check at every upstart each day?  :mad: -Curt (March 30, 2007, 01:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

IME MS don't really respect the settings you enter WRT scheduling! -Carol Haynes (March 30, 2007, 03:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

??? !!!  >:(

Try turning off automatic update altogether and see if that fixes your problems.
-Carol Haynes (March 30, 2007, 03:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have done so, now, and: Yes, that fixed my problems on CPU usage!

"Check on Sundays only!" Ha! They have been giving me the finger!

Can you disable XP's Recovery System partly?

No wonder 'some' are angry with Microsoft...

Thank you for this tip, Carol  :up:

Carol Haynes:
You are welcome - I only knew about this because I had the same problem.

If you swap back to Windows Update it fixes the issue - if you use Office you will then need to occasionally use Office Update to check for Office product updates (from the Help menu in any Office App).

laughinglizard:
WinDirStat is a great program to see whose doing what and eating how much space on your hard drive.
I like the graphical use chart and the fact that it tells you exactly which program is taking up space.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/

Darwin:
Just popping back in to say that the changes in my system have been profound since I "downgraded" to Windows Update. svhost isn't pegging my CPU anymore...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version