ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can you disable XP's Recovery System partly?

<< < (2/7) > >>

f0dder:
If I had just one guess, it would be BITS - background intelligent file transfer, which is used as part of windows update.

Curt:

I always disable system recovery completely...-f0dder (March 29, 2007, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I too have done so, now,
- and the CPU usage is some 5%, so the sinner really was System Recovery!  >:(
-Curt (March 29, 2007, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seems I was too hasty, again. After re-start the CPU usage was very high for very long again, and with System Recovery diabled, tthe sinner must be someone else. Maybe BITS or maby some major error, I am far from done with re-installing all the broken programs - in fact, I have no sound at the moment - and there are some hidden errors as well: Outpost will open, but not respond, even though I have re-installed the entire Office 2003; I cannot send or receive mails.

The extreme CPU usage is really only yet another minor frustration  :(

Carol Haynes:
Bet I know what it is ...

Did you upgrade to "Microsoft Update" rather than "Windows Update" ?

I had huge problems and found a number of articles in the MS knowledge base admitting that Microsoft Update hogs the CPU during the first startup each day while it checks your system and the MS website for updates.

If you have ever gone to the Windows Update page it asks you to upgrade to Microsoft Update so you may have done it without thinking. You can opt to revert to Windows update (it is hidden in one of the links on the left) and that certainly solved my startup problems.

Darwin:
Thanks Carol (and everyone else) - this high CPU issue associated with svhost has been driving me crazy. I just visited Microsoft Update and selected "Change Options" in the left hand side and then scrolled to the bottom of the page to disable Microsoft Updates and revert to Windows Updates. Too soon to tell if this will cure my problem, but I'm hopeful...

Curt:
Bet I know what it is ...

Did you upgrade to "Microsoft Update" rather than "Windows Update" ?

I had huge problems and found a number of articles in the MS knowledge base admitting that Microsoft Update hogs the CPU during the first startup each day while it checks your system and the MS website for updates. -Carol Haynes (March 29, 2007, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it was Microsoft_Update. But I already had the auto-update feature set to check on Sundays only, so why would it check at every upstart each day?  :mad: Following your advice I have now changed it to Windows Update - so, we're going to see...

Thanks, Carol  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version