ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

cheap domain name with private registration

(1/2) > >>

2stepsback:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a domain name service which satisfies the following:

1. domain (1 year) + *private registration*, totally under USD 15 - I know there is 1and1 but they allow only US/Canada/UK

2. should have *nothing* to do with GoDaddy <-- this is far trickier than you think, for eg:
 a "chain-whois" search (an intelligent manual operation, not a technical term) reveals this:
 rochenhost.com -> dotster.com -> imagesofwnc.com (64.94.117.196) -> interland.net -> interland.net.sftaxiart.com -> registrar.godaddy.com (64.226.28.33)
(chain of resellers, basically)

I have nothing against any of these professionally. They are pretty good hosts, AFAIK.

3. service should be good as much as to reply within a 3-4 days via email.

Actually, #3 can be relaxed a bit :)

Yes, I know ESR's "How to ask questions the smart way", but after searching online for about 6 days and spending about 20 USD exclusively on excess bandwidth bills (I'm Asian, remember), I've realized that asking other knowledgeable people is the smarter way.
Especially when I've been forced to visit an opthalmologist for eye drops and get a spectacles-upgrade totalling about 20-30 USD more on all of that exclusively due to excessive web host searching!!

In addition, I plan to make available a few *bland*, *imageless* and easy-on-the-eyes user CSSes to use within Opera (Firefox later) which people with dial-up or limited broadband connections can use. I've attached a screenshot of a *bland* one which is not yet out of beta. It's more like "yuck!" or "ugly!" but my eyes aren't complaining :) :)

oh yes! "accessibility"!! :) :)

I also invite others with similar constraints to do the same if you can. It's very simple really. More later.

CAUTION:
After seeing the chain-of-resellers concept, you may be shaken out of your ignorance.
DON'T go investigate *your* host. Ignorance *IS* bliss.
Actually it doesn't matter really. But don't tell me that I didn't tell you!

mitzevo:
I couldn't make sense of half of your post.. probably due to the fact that I am really horny.. Or maybe just tired.. but I think namecheap.com has domains with privacy for 8.88 /yr.. check them out.

sri:
You said you are searching for a web host? I recommend DreamHost. They are the Google of web hosting.

http://www.sridhareena.com/2007/01/11/dreamhost-coupons/.

app103:
I got my domain name through idotz and it cost me about $20/yr for a .com (with the extra stuff I added on like privacy and lock service).

And they take paypal too. (this was important to me)

Here is their price list:  http://www.idotz.net/pricing.cfm

Then for hosting, I went with Elected Hosting, which I locked in at a $15/yr subscription (they take paypal only).

The package is very generous:
Plan Includes: Unlimited Space, Unlimited Bandwidth, Unlimited Add-On Domains, Unlimited Email Accounts, Unlimited Sub Domains, Unlimited FTP Accounts, Unlimited MySQL Databases, Fantastico, cPanel, Site Stats, Web Mail, CGI/Perl, PHP/MySQL, Flash Support, FrontPage Extensions, and much more!
--- End quote ---

Their current price for a hosting subscription is $24/yr. (I am still paying $15 though)

They don't advertise it, but if you contact them at the support email addy and ask about free hosting, you might still be able to get an account with 3 gigs of space and 30 gigs of bandwidth/month for nothing (and no ads!).

It was their 'unadvertised' free hosting deal that caused me to discover them...then I saw how cheap they were and what you got for your money and I didn't bother with the free package...went right for paid hosting, and I have been very happy with it.

2stepsback:
For the record, a good place to look for country code Top Level domains (ccTLDs) like .us, .uk, .cz, etc and the corresponding domain name registrars is:

http://www.norid.no/domenenavnbaser/domreg.html

Does anyone know any cctld registrars with odd packages like the dot tk folks or the co.nr folks?

TIA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version