topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Lightweight alternatives to FeedDemon  (Read 22822 times)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lightweight alternatives to FeedDemon
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 10:17 AM »
ohh the joy of calling 256 k slow lol, i tried to get google reader on 56k dialup, woeful, probably work ok on 264 k when i can get home (my fast connectiion lol), ive found either a separate reader (presently using greatnews a freeware offering) and using my yahoo for a few headlines seems ok, doesnt seem to have the long download and get ready time that google has.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Well, I would recommend you to check out Newzie. It's a great feed reader, has a really good interface & doesn't take much resources to run. If you like that, you might also want to check out their *fantastic* Ziepod if you listen to a lot of podcasts. Both programs are freeware, although there is a "+" version of Ziepod available (which is what I use).
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 07:46 PM »
Well, I would recommend you to check out Newzie...

Hi Dirhael. Although I use and really like FeedDemon, Newzie does look very nice at first glance. Most feed readers I try are off my computer within 10 minutes. I am going to give this one a good look though. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 01:26 PM »
Google Reader is an excellent alternative - I have my feeds mirrored there just in case I need to check them when I'm on another PC. However, for someone who has a slow connection (256 kbps) I find an offline app like FeedDemon way more responsive that Google Reader.

I hadn't considered that, but it seems Google has :) If you check out Google Reader now, it has a new "Offline" button. Apparently (I haven't tried it yet) it downloads the last 2,000 entries for offline reading.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 11:11 AM »
"TM"??

This is obviously not good(TM)

In order to understand what y'all are saying, this not-an-English-man (: being me) will from time to time need to ask for explanations, please. This "TM" suffix I have made bold in iphigenie's post , what does it say? Not what they taught me in school, I guess?

TM.GIFLightweight alternatives to FeedDemon

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 08:12 PM »
I could be wrong in this case, but usually it means "trademark"...

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 02:52 PM »
Rssowl rocks. You can grab the latest dev builds from here

http://rssowl.pluginbuilder.org/latest/

I noticed RSSOwl version 2.0 is in development. They have a very informative five part flash demo (made in wink) up at http://boreal.rssowl.org/ . Some really interesting new features have been added (group tagging, smart saved searches as filters and much more). I think RSSOwl will be a really strong competitor to GreatNews in the freeware slot. I'm not sure how it compares with GreatNews resource wise though, since it uses Java.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:48 PM by kartal »