ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lightweight alternatives to FeedDemon

(1/7) > >>

nosh:
I've been using FeedDemon and though I love the functionality it provides it's a complete resource hog. I'm subscribed to around 50 feeds.  FeedDemon, though almost perfect, does a lot more that I want it to.

I'm interested in trying out other standalone RSS readers (not web-based ones or Firefox plugins)

The only things that matters are:
 - It should have a well designed user interface (ie. not too much of a pain to navigate)
 - It should be relatively light on resources coz I have my feed reader running all the time.

Darwin:
I use FeedDemon as well, though I don't have it running all the time. I monitor 18 feeds with it and just fired it up. While it was checking the feeds CPU usage varied from 0-4%, RAM utiltization peaked at 41,760 K before settling at 30,640 K and VM is steady at 22,556 K. Footprint has never seemed a problem to me and these figures don't alarm me. However, as noted, I don't have it running all the time. I *think* Zaine started a thread here long ago about an open source feed reader that he, and a lot of other people, loved... Right, off to find it!

Darwin:
Wow! I usually have a hard time finding what I want via the search feature (I always have such a vague idea of the term or name that I'm after) but "RSS" yielded what I was after as the second hit:

GreatNews

and then a bunch of others, two of which seem semi-relevant:

ALertBear (sounds like it's more hungry than FeedDemon, though...

People also discussed Omea Reader in the fall - there are both free and Pro versions available. There seem to be some resource issues with it as well, though, and it's NOT a streamlined, mean RSS reading machine but a VERY full featured app.

Hope something here bears fruit!

nosh:
Thanks! I said FeedDemon is a bit of a hog coz I recently installed Process Tamer and it 'tames' FeedDemon pretty often. I did monitor FeedDemon in Process Viewer & my findings were similar to yours. I'm kinda attached to it and skeptical if I'll like another reader enough to have it swap places with FD but I'm going to try out all the reccos nonetheless.

Nighted:
RSSOwl

Feed Reader

Feed Reader has a cool layout the lets you view all news from one catagory on one page with all graphics...pretty cool. It also has a portable install option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version