ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

ITSD Organizer keeps your notes at hand

<< < (5/7) > >>

Nighted:
For to do list and reminders I use Rainlendar: http://www.ipi.fi/~rainy/index.php?pn=projects&project=rainlendar

For notes, recipes, game codes/faqs, whatever,  I stick with Keynote: http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html

But hey, I'm cheap! :D

rjbull:
For notes, recipes, game codes/faqs, whatever,  I stick with Keynote: -Nighted (October 11, 2005, 11:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Keynote's never quite "clicked" with me, and I noticed that the person who collects the Yahoo! group on PowerPro as a Keynote file remarked that it "struggled" with large files.  Any comments on that?

kfitting:
By struggle what do you mean?  I have several Keynote files over 4 meg and havent noticed any problems.  Once an individual node gets to be rather large the program slows down while in that node, is that what they meant?  Keynote 2 is supposed to alleviate a lot of this and add tremendous functionality... unfortunately, while development was started, no news has come in the last couple months.  Hopefully it hasnt ended, but we'll see.

Kevin

rjbull:
By struggle what do you mean?  I have several Keynote files over 4 meg and havent noticed any problems.  Once an individual node gets to be rather large the program slows down while in that node, is that what they meant?  Keynote 2 is supposed to alleviate a lot of this and add tremendous functionality... unfortunately, while development was started, no news has come in the last couple months.  Hopefully it hasnt ended, but we'll see.

Kevin
-kfitting (October 12, 2005, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

It probably is what you mean, but quoting http://www.pcrei.com/ppro/files/PPMLA_README_1st.txt
which is the PowerPro support site
"Though I have given the steps to collect all the years' archive
into a single .knt file, mainly for searching purposes, my personal
advice is to keep each year's archive in a separate .knt file like,
2000.knt, 2001.knt, 2002.knt etc. This is because Keynote struggles as
the file size becomes larger taking longer time to open, save and
search. Since you can open multiple .knt files at the same time
(tools > configuration options > general settings > uncheck "allow
only one instance") it should be no problem."

Looks to me like Keynote development has been stalled for more like two years than two months?  But IIRC it's open source if someone else is willing and able to carry it forward.

kfitting:
I see..... yes, it does take more time to open, search, and save because it stores the entire file in memory when it's opened. 

New versions have not been released in two years, but go to the message boards.  THere are several posts from marek from June (I believe) giving status updates on 2.0.  2.0 is (supposed to be) a complete rewrite from scratch using a component called TRichView to get around many of the inherent problems with Microsoft's RichEdit control (more info available on forum).  It also uses a totally different file format that does not load the entire file into memory. 

However, like I said, nothing has been posted in the last few months from marek saying what has been happening.  Progress may be going on, but not that we can see!  As far as getting other people to carry on development, while not impossible, I would definitely suggest reading through the problems marek has run into, especially concerning the RichEdit component.  Tables, hyperlinks, etc, are an inherent problem.  TRichView looks like a great solution... but it costs, and someone needs to program for it.

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version