topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google Mail Web Clips - RSS support for the email client I like best  (Read 9543 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google Mail yet again added a nice feature, RSS feeds above your emails!

It's perfect for those you-don't-need-to-read-every-feed-item-feeds that you casually enjoy reading, I like this!

This is how it looks (I added the yellow highlighting) - by clicking the backwards/forward button you can easily browse through new feed items:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2510/dcpostgooglemailrsssupporti1pr.png
Google Mail Web Clips - RSS support for the email client I like best

The settings are pretty self-explanatory also:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4724/dcpostgooglemailrsssupportii0b.png
Google Mail Web Clips - RSS support for the email client I like best

By using the search on that page you can easily add feeds that aren't in Google's standard lists (they added the most popular already for your convenience).

EDIT: How cool! When you switch from the Inbox to Spam, instead of RSS feed items Google will offer links to Spam recipes! I just saw Spam Breakfast Burritos, French Fry Spam Casserole and Vineyard Spam Salad!!

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 03:06 PM by brotherS »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been using this for a while, but for me it has a big issue: it doesn't display exclusivelly the rss content you asked for. Sometimes, it displays advertising instead :(

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been using this for a while, but for me it has a big issue: it doesn't display exclusivelly the rss content you asked for. Sometimes, it displays advertising instead :(
You are right, I saw a few ads too. But I won't call that a big issue. Maybe a very minor annoyance. ;) You aren't forced to click to open the target page, might even have a good laugh (if it's not related but funny), and with one click you are reading the next RSS items.

All good :Thmbsup:

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's true that i'm not forced to click it, but i have sometimes felt "tricked" into cliking it, as it seemed to be mentioning an interesting article from bbc technology (which is the rss i've subscribed), and it ended up being a non-interesting and non-related page.
It's not that i'm against ads, since they support google, i just think that having ads coming up always on the same place of a page, is correct. Having them come up instead of something you expect not to be ads, isn't.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
EDIT: How cool! When you switch from the Inbox to Spam, instead of RSS feed items Google will offer links to Spam recipes! I just saw Spam Breakfast Burritos, French Fry Spam Casserole and Vineyard Spam Salad!!

;D ;D ;D

:Thmbsup:

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D ;D ;D
It's true, i just got:
"Vineyard Spam Salad - Combine grapes, spam, peapods and onions in large bowl"
For those curious, here's the link it referenced.
What's "spam" as a cooking ingredient?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mmmm ... spam fritters .... to die for (literally)