topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 12:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dfinitive - Voting like Digg but with Domain Experts  (Read 3659 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Dfinitive - Voting like Digg but with Domain Experts
« on: March 23, 2007, 09:17 AM »
I've written before about why i think the purely automated collective voting systems like digg are inherently flawed in the sense that they are inevitably abused and in the sense that voting patterns become less about voting for relevant links and more about voting for catchy headlines [see some posts of mine here].

Today emily chang writes about a new web service like digg which has a critical differences -- votes are used simply to determine when a threshold is reached for a human editor (domain expert) should actually review the item and post about it.

It doesn't address all of my concerns (the voting is still susceptible to information cascased, etc.) but the use of domain expert editors is a great step forward..

Utilises "collective intelligence"
Anyone can recommend a Dfinitive site, and once a site has been given 100 recommendations it is then reviewed by a human editor.

Edited by humans to ensure quality
Some bookmarking sites are open to spamming and the categorisation can be confusing, so we use human editors to ensure quality and to help organise the sites

Endorsed by Experts in each category
Experts from each field are used as the final double check to ensure that only the very best site actually get listed in Dfinitive

Screenshot - 3_23_2007 , 9_08_57 AM_thumb.png

from http://www.emilychang.com/go/ehub

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dfinitive - Voting like Digg but with Domain Experts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:00 PM »
It seems that, after all, peer reviewed sites have some future. Would it be a bright one?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:04 PM »
it's not a great sign however that they only have two categories, and one is Search Engine Optimization and Affiliate Marketing..

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:26 PM »
They've got to build up some cash, I don't think venture capital companies are interested in those kind of "old" fashioned sites, now all the rage is building up on Web 2.0 spawns, although the novelty is wearing off in USA, or so it seems. In Spain people just discovered it, and they're almost crazy (not too many people, mind you) and heralds it as the next revolution, and how modern it is and cool... the history of our country, always late for everything. </rant>

I think I'm ranting too much these days ;D

On second thought, and after reviewing the "approved" "news" (which all of them are links to external sites) maybe this a bit of a Web 2.0 spawn, like at said at the beginning. I'll check in a week to see how things are holding up.