topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Yet Another Closed Platform - Sound Familiar?  (Read 3596 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yet Another Closed Platform - Sound Familiar?
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:04 AM »
Here is an interesting blog post warning programmers not to use Adobe's new Apollo Software Platform

Why would someone want to lock themselves into a proprietary, closed platform - like Apollo?
Unfortunately none of the (so-called) analyst, experts out there plugging Adobe - has brought this up yet. I’m not sure why they think that desktop based apps - connected to the Internet - are so new or different - or why locking yourself into an Adobe platform is smart, but both Scoble, Wilson and Arrington seem to love it.

from http://www.downloadsquad.com/
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Yet Another Closed Platform - Sound Familiar?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:47 AM »
It's proprietary, but it's not closed - it's a bit like PDF which was another proprietary but fully documented format and system which allowed a lot of people to create competitors to Acrobat.

The same thing is happening with Flash, there are many tools you can use to build flash

I'm all for open but I am also all for things that work on many platforms at the same level with a certain guarantee of survival and further development. Flash / Flex / Apollo is in many way a lot more cohesive, coherent and multi-platform compatible than a lot of the alternatives including open source.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:01 AM by iphigenie »